aluminum DW or Ludwig snare?

Drum Guy

thanks for all replies - as usual this forum is very helpful...

I'm getting a DW 6x14 maple, N&C solid walnut 5x14, and I do already have the DW 6.5x14 1mm aluminum and a cheapy Gretch 6x10 ash snare...

I like the DW 1mm aluminum that I have OK, but just wanted a wetter sound, more open and thought hey why not look into the famous Bonham Ludwig snare -

what I'm learning from this forum is because I can't hear the Ludwig snare in person (no one has it around here!) is that the Ludwig may be more famous and yes its on innumerable records that I've heard BUT it may not really be any better then the DW I now have in terms of overall quality make and possibly even sound...

Maybe I should just buy the Ludwig from one of those "45 days to return" companies and hear for myself -

BUT it's always a beneficial pleasure for me to receive all you guys' feedback and opinions - been away from playing drums for 20 years and I welcome everyones' insights

thanks much

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
thanks for all replies - as usual this forum is very helpful...

I'm getting a DW 6x14 maple, N&C solid walnut 5x14, and I do already have the DW 6.5x14 1mm aluminum and a cheapy Gretch 6x10 ash snare...

I like the DW 1mm aluminum that I have OK, but just wanted a wetter sound, more open and thought hey why not look into the famous Bonham Ludwig snare -

what I'm learning from this forum is because I can't hear the Ludwig snare in person (no one has it around here!) is that the Ludwig may be more famous and yes its on innumerable records that I've heard BUT it may not really be any better then the DW I now have in terms of overall quality make and possibly even sound...

Maybe I should just buy the Ludwig from one of those "45 days to return" companies and hear for myself -

BUT it's always a beneficial pleasure for me to receive all you guys' feedback and opinions - been away from playing drums for 20 years and I welcome everyones' insights

thanks much
Have you thought about getting a 7 or even 8 inch deep aluminum? That would definitely have more resonance. You could get Oriollo to make you an 8-lug 8x14. Plenty of resonance, but still light to carry and not so loud as to be overwhelming.

Drum Guy

interesting...never heard of these guys - Oriollo - I visited their site ...learning that there's SO much choice out there in drums in 2019 - maybe too much?

Thanks for the heads up re: Oriollo - they do look/sound good

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
interesting...never heard of these guys - Oriollo - I visited their site ...learning that there's SO much choice out there in drums in 2019 - maybe too much?

Thanks for the heads up re: Oriollo - they do look/sound good
I have 6.5x14 brass, a 5x15 copper, and a 5x14 copper. The brass and the 15 copper have a raw finish, and the 14 copper has a polished/unwaxed finish. Honestly, this thread is making we want a 14x8 aluminum with 8 lugs.