Alternative percussion ideas to use with kit?

Drumsarefun

Just started to play in a few bands and I'd like to incorporate some cool sounding/unique percussion to use with the kit (within reason).

There's the obvious ones like shaker, tambourine etc - definitely want to get some tambourine in there, think it works often works great in a rock setting, but is there anything else I could consider using to create some nice sounds?

I've always had a cowbell and woodblock on my kit, and loved the variety there. (The LP Black Beauty cowbell is classic, and any of the LP Jamblocks would serve you well.) But I never used a tambourine because most jingle when they're not supposed to. Then I recently found the LP Click Hi-Hat Tambourine (http://www.lpmusic.com/products/percussion/tambourines/click-hi-hat-tambourine), which is awesome. It's absolutely SILENT when you want it to be.

I also have the LP 25 bar chimes in brass. They are not very convenient for gigging, but wonderful addition to the studio arsenal.

I've always had a cowbell and woodblock on my kit, and loved the variety there. (The LP Black Beauty cowbell is classic, and any of the LP Jamblocks would serve you well.) But I never used a tambourine because most jingle when they're not supposed to. Then I recently found the LP Click Hi-Hat Tambourine (http://www.lpmusic.com/products/percussion/tambourines/click-hi-hat-tambourine), which is awesome. It's absolutely SILENT when you want it to be.

I also have the LP 25 bar chimes in brass. They are not very convenient for gigging, but wonderful addition to the studio arsenal.

Great ideas, completely forgot about woodblock and cowbell, that sounds awesome

My tambourine is on a bracket that is mounted on my hi hat stand, beneath the hats, and I use a stick to strike it. It gets a LOT of use, and I would not be without it. Day Tripper, Gimme Some Loving, Our Lips Are Sealed, Walk Like An Egyptian, Bring Me Some Water, Mystify are songs I can think of off the top of my head where it gets used.

Chimes are also cool - I use 'Tinkerbell' as an alternative to a wash of cymbals as the finale to quiet songs.

Yea tambourine is best, I've seen questlove use a tambourine sitting on top of his ride cymbal. He could play some pretty cool grooves with it

More and more I like friction instruments like guiro and shekere. It takes a bit of practice to get used to the technique sliding instead(or in addition to) of hitting, but they are so versatile. I think there are other louder instruments like reco and bomba.

More and more I like friction instruments like guiro and shekere. It takes a bit of practice to get used to the technique sliding instead(or in addition to) of hitting, but they are so versatile. I think there are other louder instruments like reco and bomba.

The "Key Of Z" company in Louisiana, makes a variation on their zydeco washboard, that mounts on a cymbal stand ! Set it up horizontally, vertically, or at any angle you choose.

https://keyofzrubboards.com/collections/drum-boards

Attachments

• keyofZ.JPG
    keyofZ.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 153
  • keyofZ1.JPG
    keyofZ1.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 144
The LP Stanton Moore Pandeiro is a great thing too. You can get it really low, which Stanton recommends. Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzyrJ9wyNl8

He uses it on live versions of Galactic songs like Sugar Doosie, Karate and Dolla Diva.

I had a tamborine/pandeiro set up like that, I went to putting it in snare stand, so I could swap it out for different frame drums, an ocean drum makes a great piccolo snare sound with the beads. Also, I can easily pick it up and play it traditionally, without worrying about heavy hardware.

That is a really cool groove too.

I had a tamborine/pandeiro set up like that, I went to putting it in snare stand, so I could swap it out for different frame drums, an ocean drum makes a great piccolo snare sound with the beads. Also, I can easily pick it up and play it traditionally, without worrying about heavy hardware.

Do you have any trouble with the snare basket arms interfering with the jingles ? I have been using this tambourine cradle, made by Black Swamp Percussion. Support for table-top playing... and it can be easily mounted onto a cymbal stand (with a boom stand, I have many options for positioning).

Even with this gadget, mounting has to be precise due pandeiro having shallower rim than most tambourines. Works great with my Remo (5 sets of jingles); but I also have a Brazillian-made pandeiro w/ 6 sets, which does NOT fit as well on it.

PS - thanks for sharing your ocean drum idea; I really never paid much attention to them when I saw them in catalogs. I might have to look into it, now.

Attachments

• pandeiro1a.jpg
    pandeiro1a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 114
  • pandeiro2.jpg
    pandeiro2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Do you have any trouble with the snare basket arms interfering with the jingles ? I have been using this tambourine cradle, made by Black Swamp Percussion. Support for table-top playing... and it can be easily mounted onto a cymbal stand (with a boom stand, I have many options for positioning).

Even with this gadget, mounting has to be precise due pandeiro having shallower rim than most tambourines. Works great my Remo (5 sets of jingles); but I also have a Brazillian-made pandeiro w/ 6 sets, which does fit as well on it.

PS - thanks for sharing your ocean drum idea; I really never paid much attention to them when I saw them in catalogs. I might have to look into it, now.

If I set it in there just right it isn't a problem. I don't get as much jingle, as one might with a more flexible mount, but I kind of like it that way. I use mine more like a snare, kind of like the Sonor jungle snare that had jingles in it.

Back