Alternating triplets and quadruplets

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
What is it called, when you alternate triplets and quadruplets. I am famialr with the swing and shuffle floating around, or even four on six like the Purdie shuffle, where in blues and jazz they play both at the same time.

I like adding triplets to some of my grooves, and there are many songs with triplets, so I worked it up into a single stroke pattern,

Tri-pu-let-qua-dru-pu-let-Tri-pu-let-qua-dru-pu-let-
R- l- r- L- r- l- r- L- r- l- R- l- r- l-

It is kind of like the ratamaqueue, but it starts with a triplet and consists of no double strokes. I started to break it down and work on just one hand at time like I like to do with rudiments, and I noticed the sticking is very close to the bembe cascara pattern, with the 5th 6th and 12th of the 12/8 beats shuffled a little.

Anyway, what is this kind of beat alternating between triplets and quadruplets called?

WhoIsTony?

looks to me like you are just subdividing the quarter note from triplets to 16ths

no name for it just subdividing

evogel

looks to me like you are just subdividing the quarter note from triplets to 16ths

no name for it just subdividing
+1 for what you describe.

Otherwise, there is a hybrid rudiment called a "Triple-Acue" which uses different sticking of three grace notes starting with the left hand followed by a four stroke ruff and then alternated, starting with the right hand.
This obviously sounds different from what you describe but if you are looking for a "formal" mention of something, this is a ticket.

Here is a PDF with 128 of the hybrid rudiments with the Triple-Acue being last on the list at #128.
http://drums.iatp.by/skan 5/128HybridRudimentBook2.pdf