All else being equal- Maple vs. Mahogany Snare

wraub

Assuming everything else is the same-size- hardware, heads, etc - how would you expect maple to sound vs. mahogany? What's your preference?

I have a maple snare, and I like it, but I keep reading about mahogany usually having a warmer and rounder sound than maple, and I think that's more of a sound I'm going for from my snare drum. I have a chance to buy what is essentially the same snare drum I have now, but is a "big leaf mahogany" shell. All the hardware looks the same or very similar.
Should I give it a try, or just try different heads or similar on the drum I have?

Al Strange

I only own one wooden snare in my collection and it’s a Gretsch maple 14x5...all I know is when I hit it, it sounds fantastic!! Why not check out the mahogany (preferably in person but failing that YouTube) to see if you can discern a noticeable difference between that and your maple...if the mahogany drum sounds best to your ears go for it!! 🤔 (y) :cool:
9594EDF2-D8EA-4160-8CE3-EDFB88ADB7A9.jpeg

wraub

This is what I'm looking for, actually... a snare drum that sounds different from the maple I have. That one has all the attack I need. :D
The rounder softer snare sound is what I want.

Mahogany has a deeper and woodier tone than anything else. It's rather distinct. The softness of the wood creates that lovely tone, just don't be looking for a lot of attack from a pure mahogany shell.

wraub

It was from a CL seller, from whom I've bought before.

I tapped on mine, then went to check it out.

It came home with me. :)

I only own one wooden snare in my collection and it’s a Gretsch maple 14x5...all I know is when I hit it, it sounds fantastic!! Why not check out the mahogany (preferably in person but failing that YouTube) to see if you can discern a noticeable difference between that and your maple...if the mahogany drum sounds best to your ears go for it!! 🤔 (y) :cool:
View attachment 96786

C.M. Jones

Both woods are superb. @someguy01 hits the bullseye in his verdict. Mahogany alone, though lovely in tone, is dark and mellow. My Pearl Session Studio Select snares are birch/African mahogany. Birch lends assertiveness and clarity, while African mahogany warms the equation. The combination is a winner, producing a perfectly balanced presence.

Both maple and mahogany have unique merits. If you want mahogany, make sure its African. The Asian variety pales by comparison.

wraub

The drum is made of "big leaf mahogany", which I think is the real deal mahogany, but newer growth from a plantation setting... From what I've read, it is one of three species that yields genuine mahogany timber (Swietenia).

I found this from the manufacturer- "Known for its great beauty and durability, big leaf mahogany has been used for centuries to craft high-quality wood products. The wood delivers a rich and warm mid-low range tone with a short, natural decay. These drums also use 100% reforested environmentally controlled material."

Both woods are superb. @someguy01 hits the bullseye in his verdict. Mahogany alone, though lovely in tone, is dark and mellow. My Pearl Session Studio Select snares are birch/African mahogany. Birch lends assertiveness and clarity, while African mahogany warms the equation. The combination is a winner, producing a perfectly balanced presence.

Both maple and mahogany have unique merits. If you want mahogany, make sure its African. The Asian variety pales by comparison.

C.M. Jones

The drum is made of "big leaf mahogany", which I think is the real deal mahogany, but newer growth from a plantation setting... From what I've read, it is one of three species that yields genuine mahogany timber (Swietenia).

I found this from the manufacturer- "Known for its great beauty and durability, big leaf mahogany has been used for centuries to craft high-quality wood products. The wood delivers a rich and warm mid-low range tone with a short, natural decay. These drums also use 100% reforested environmentally controlled material."
Should be fine. If you really want mahogany, give it a go.

I don't own a metal snare. I've always preferred wood, as I find them cleaner and more focused. I can tune a wood snare nice and tight and still get warmth out of it, whereas some metal shells become pingy at higher tensions. I'm not dissing metal snares; I just like wood a lot more.

wraub

I wanted to check it out and compare the difference, if any. I got it, cleaned it up, and just tried it for the first time.

I like it. :)

I also, so far, definitely prefer wood snares drums, but I've really only played cheap ones for any length of time and expensive ones at stores and shows. I definitely would like to get some play time behind a few to compare.

Should be fine. If you really want mahogany, give it a go.

I don't own a metal snare. I've always preferred wood, as I find them cleaner and more focused. I can tune a wood snare nice and tight and still get warmth out of it, whereas some metal shells become pingy at higher tensions. I'm not dissing metal snares; I just like wood a lot more.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
They both start with "M" but mahogany has more letters and it's just. gorgeous wood to look at so-Mahogany.
Oh man remember Mahogany Rush-I think there is band called Mahogany too. I don't think there is a Maple band. So Mahogany for the win-Alec.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I always loved Mahogany.

Whether it was the old Rock Tour Customs and Tour Customs, the 10x5 Stage Custom side snare, or the Maple/Mahogany (speaking of low, the 15'' has more body and lows than most 18' floors I played) I play now. Imagine I have an 18” floor in this kit too 😂

605D10EF-8C5A-4312-A0F2-9EA04CD8A5E9.jpeg

Love it!!!

Last edited:

ToneT

Mahogany and a deep shell are a perfect marriage of warmth and roundness of tone.
I love my Gretsch Swamp Dawg 8x14. She's a beauty of a drum!

opentune

Platinum Member
Not sure what you current snare is, but if its a typical 5 or 6 ply snare with sharp bearing edges it will sound very different than a 3 ply with rounder bearing edge (i.e. the typical vintage 60's snare all Ludwig, Slingerland...). Much warmer in the latter case.
For years I sought a 'warmer snare' sound and to my ears has much much to do with 3 ply + the bearing edge.

C.M. Jones

Not sure what you current snare is, but if its a typical 5 or 6 ply snare with sharp bearing edges it will sound very different than a 3 ply with rounder bearing edge (i.e. the typical vintage 60's snare all Ludwig, Slingerland...). Much warmer in the latter case.
For years I sought a 'warmer snare' sound and to my ears has much much to do with 3 ply + the bearing edge.
Important point. Shell design can have quite an impact. If I had an all mahogany snare, I'd probably want shell features that lent some edge to its sound, but that's not the way to go when searching for maximum warmth.