Alesis nitro mesh kit - how do i set up snare and hi hat at correct height to stop the sticks hitting each other and my leg and snare properly?

jododd123

how do i set up snare and hi hat at correct height to stop the sticks hitting each other and hitting my leg and snare properly?

im only 5ft 6

i have tried using a higher chair setting and lowering and increasing height of snare..

maybe could put books under the frame to make it higher?

Attachments

• 20210107_223541.jpg
    20210107_223541.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 36
I used to have it, and what I did is the following:
Let's number the vertical legs left to right as 1 to 4. On leg 2, I swapped the connection between the snare support and the horizontal beam connecting to leg 1. In this way the module and the hi-hat are a bit lower, but your snare can go way higher. Once you find the correct snare position (which in my case it was the limiting pad, and I'm like 6' 5"), adjust the hi-hat accordingly.

Swap the hat and module round for a start, so the module's on the hard left (you're also less likely to smack it a stick)....

tried all sorts of arrmnagements now...maybe its just the size of the snare... whatever height i have it as it sticks either hits sticks to each other or hits my leg if too low...

would you recommended a 10 inch snare pad ?

Won't make a difference to the height.... As a drummer you tend to only use the centre 4-6" of a drum anyway

1610376170025.png

It shouldn't be a problem to use the kit with that height. When I started drumming, I was hitting a lot of things involuntarily... my legs, my own hand, the sticks, bottom of a cymbal, I'm surprised I didn't hit my face. There are many setup guides, just follow one and try them for a little longer to better understand what's in the way.

There's also no rules to say you *have* to cross your arms and have the hat on the left. You could put on the right or in the middle if you like - especially easy with an ekit. "open-handed"

I had the same problem with a low bed...I used a slightly thinner tube, duct taped it at the right height and inserted it up the end. Trial and error with each leg got it evened up.
You could do the same with the legs of the drum frame I reckon.

Raise the right side of your kit to match the left side. It looks like it’s leaning pretty hard to the right. You still have some adjustment room there it looks like.

If that’s not enough, I had to use those little bumpers that you put under each leg of a bed to raise it. I think I got some that were 4” high. These will help you get some extra height to work with so the snare won’t be so close to your legs.

5B126200-3321-494A-8142-58803582E869.jpeg
And yeah, switch your hi hat and module around.

I had a similar problem, I'm 5'11, but play lots of double bass, so need free legs, and to cater to that I just bought a drumstool with a back to help my balance, but it came with a damaged height adjustment and the company were useless dealing with them so stuck with it.

Luckily I have an acoustic kit that is unassembled in the attic, which helped, but basically just got a snare stand from my old kit so the snare was independent from the rest. That's the cheapest adjustment I made.
I also bought a roland v-drum that's actually thick like an acoustic drum not a pad, but other than now being at the lowest limit of the snare stand that doesn't do much that the stand couldn't for the height.

And lastly - as
There's also no rules to say you *have* to cross your arms and have the hat on the left. You could put on the right or in the middle if you like - especially easy with an ekit. "open-handed"
this too. I had a remote hihat pedal from when I used to play with 2 hats, so I've done just that, and it's done wonders for my left hand actually, I've taken to often playing straight 8s like a left handed drummer say, or 16th disco-style beats left leading so the hats now on the right and few months of that my left hand has gotten way better, plus I enjoy the hat by the ride for right hand cymbal stuff anyway.

Back