Albums You Hated - But Became a Favorite

Ruok

Silver Member
When I was a wee lad of 6 or 7, my sister had the Bee Gees album Trafalgar which came out in 1971. I hated it and at one point mocked my sister and asked, "How can you listen to this?" She responded "Because I like it!"

Sometime either during my junior high or early high school days I put the album on to purposely give it a good and proper listen. Poof. I went from strongly disliking the album to "This is a masterpiece!"

What's your 'hate to love' album story.

Hated becoming a favorite..hmm. Generally if an album was a favorite it still holds. I'm thinking hard on this. I never liked Janis Joplin..(sorry) still don't. Hate to love totally escapes me. I'll be back.

I couldn’t stand Nirvana when they hit, it was the antithesis of the showy hard rock I was into at the time and pretty much destroyed the commercial appeal of bands like mine. It took me 10 years to appreciate what a great album Nevermind is...not to mention how great a drummer Dave Grohl is... (y) :)
1612104410063.jpeg

When I was a wee lad of 6 or 7, my sister had the Bee Gees album Trafalgar which came out in 1971. I hated it and at one point mocked my sister and asked, "How can you listen to this?" She responded "Because I like it!"

Sometime either during my junior high or early high school days I put the album on to purposely give it a good and proper listen. Poof. I went from strongly disliking the album to "This is a masterpiece!"

What's your 'hate to love' album story.

This sounds like perception vs reality. As a teen in the 80’s I was totally absorbed in hard rock/ heavy metal and fusion/funk. At the time I would never have bought any disco album and only heard top 40 music in public places where I had no control. Why? Disco was simply made fun of by basically all of my drummer friends who were mostly all into the same rock music.
Then some relative gave me a “top hits” album of various artists for Christmas which I specifically recall included Funky Town by Lipps Inc. - not exactly heavy metal.

I took it home and played it since back then the choices were 1. Radio, 2. MTV, or 3. Owned vinyl (or 8-tracks lol). Its grooviness sort of changed my view of the entire Disco genre (which I thought included the BeeGees but later discovered that they were really rock-disco crossover). Now I can listen to disco without getting nauseous haha I actually even dig it sometimes.

Actually the first couple of minutes of Yes's Close to the Edge had me going WTF?

But when it transitioned from the dissonance opening to the first theme, it was hmm..Not bad.
And the second side completely changed my mind about rock music.

This sounds like perception vs reality. As a teen in the 80’s I was totally absorbed in hard rock/ heavy metal and fusion/funk. At the time I would never have bought any disco album and only heard top 40 music in public places where I had no control. Why? Disco was simply made fun of by basically all of my drummer friends who were mostly all into the same rock music.
Then some relative gave me a “top hits” album of various artists for Christmas which I specifically recall included Funky Town by Lipps Inc. - not exactly heavy metal.

I took it home and played it since back then the choices were 1. Radio, 2. MTV, or 3. Owned vinyl (or 8-tracks lol). Its grooviness sort of changed my view of the entire Disco genre (which I thought included the BeeGees but later discovered that they were really rock-disco crossover). Now I can listen to disco without getting nauseous haha I actually even dig it sometimes.
Definitely a piece of electro-minimalist genius.
Never seen that video before though! Didn't know where to look!
So I looked at the jiggling boobies. ?

Lipps inc?
I remember the local DJ @KOME radio (Dennis Erectus)would play the first minute of the song ,then blow it up by doing a long series of scratches .
I miss the old KOME spot on the dial at 98.5

Anyone else remember the remake?

I dont really care for this version. Love the original. One of my favorite disco tunes.

So I started DJ'ing in strip clubs during college. The first one I worked in was named Night Moves. The owner, looking like a mini-me version of Bob Seger or Santa Claus (he really looked like Santa got it on with one of the elves, but I digress). . . . . .I had to play "Night Moves" by Bob Seger maybe 5 or 6 times a night that first year. Known in the biz as an All-Skate. OVer and Over and oVer and OveR. I couldn't STAND that song for probably 2 decades or more. I heard it a couple weeks ago while listening to classic rock on Amazon. I love this song, great song!

I also want to add that I am a Pink Floyd die hard from way back. Haven't listened to then in some time though. I went backwards with Floyd. I will say, if you're not giving their albums a listening, you're truly missing out on some great musicianship. Early weird stuff with Syd Barrett, find the video where they play at Pompeii. Careful With that Axe Eugene, Shine On You Crazy Diamond. It's mood music I guess. Not like they rock out. But good stuff. Go old, and work your way up. I love the 80s stuff after Waters left as well. The Dogs of War. . . (y) Saw them in "94 in Columbus, OH. One of the greatest concerts I've ever been to.

Not that I really HATED those records but they were definitely slow burners for me:
I found this pretty nerve-racking at first but it really grew on me:
I once bought this on a whim and it took a few months until it just stayed in the CD player:

When I was getting into jazz, I had neither the internet nor any experienced listeners to guide me. So my journey was rather haphazard. I started with Kind of Blue and Take Five, of course. But after that I went to Bitches Brew...which I was not prepared for. Then In a Silent Way, which captivated me. Then the first Mahavishnu, which I thought was awesome, and then some GRP which impressed me but left me cold.

Then I bought this is a CD store in D.C.

CoreaHancock_Cover.jpg

I knew "Rockit" and Corea's Elektric Band but also knew these guys were masters of acoustic jazz as well, and the two of them together? How could this not be magical?

I did not like it.

I tried to like it. I tried to convince myself I liked it. Finally, after about the fourth time listening, I had to acknowledge that I didn't like it. More than that, I didn't get it.

Every 5 or so years I'd give it another try to see if I'd get or like it now. I never did.

Until nearly 20 years later, after I'd finally truly gotten into jazz--thanks to books and the internet helping steer me through the enormous history and various pathways and a local library extremely well-stocked and several years listening to almost nothing but--and having devoured both great quintets of Miles Davis (and possibly all three—I think I'd even listened his Lost Quintet broadcasts by then), I pulled it off the shelf...and I got it. And I loved it.

(There's another set from the same tour, An Evening with Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea: In Concert, with almost but not quite the same setlist but from a different night, and it too is wonderful.)

Back