Al Jackson jr.or Hal Blaine

I think we are pretty lucky to hear both of them on their absolutely amazing discographies. Two of the best for sure.

I think Al was cooler was but Blaine's career is something we'll never see again and who wouldn't want to go be in the Wrecking crew!

I wonder if they were friends at all since they were essentially contemporaries of each other.

Both are among the greatest session players ever, exhibiting superhuman adaptability without drowning individual identity. I won't argue one was better than the other. Flipping a coin means you can't lose with either. Blaine backed Sinatra. That might be an unmatchable accolade. It depends upon what impresses you.

Last edited:
Actually, in LA the two big guys were Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer. Between the two, they probably covered every hit record coming out of LA at the time. I love Al Jackson, and he contributed much, but we always forget Earl, and we also forget Gary Chester doing the hits out of NYC too.
Agreed , but

We all stand on these shoulders and many others, Respect and we were lucky they played drums.

In 1965 Booker T. and the MG's were in L.A. to do some shows (one of which is documented on the Live CD "Funky Broadway: Stax Revue Live at the 5/4 Ballroom"), and while there they were asked by Atlantic Records to participate in a big band session with Bobby Darin. Hal Blaine was the second drummer on the date. In Rob Bowman's book on Stax he says that they recorded the song "Something in the Park" and one other tune. I've never been able to track down that song, so perhaps either Bowman got the name wrong, or it was never released. I read an interview with Steve Cropper once where he said that session was the happiest he'd ever seen Jackson, playing alongside Blaine.

I have great respect and admiration for Al Jackson Jr but my choice would be Hal Blaine for me . Hal was a schooled drummer and came up with some truly unique and innovative parts . Hal also popularized the multiple Tom set up and Concert toms . The breadth of artists that he performed with is massive as well .

Back