Al Jackson Jr 18" Ride

Jamos33

Love his ride sound. I know it's a vintage 18" Zildjian. What do you guys think would be the closest cymbal today to that? I'm currently using an 18" Symphonic Viennese which sounds great but I'm not sure of its weight. Zildjian says medium. I've heard many say the Zildjian's of yester year were a lot thinner. Thanks.

JB111

Didn't realize he played an 18. One of my all time favorite drummers. If you dig it, I'd think buying a 50s or 60s A would be the call. Prices are hard to beat, especially with the 60s rides. Thinner ones might be a bit more, but I doubt his was that thin.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Who knows what the exact cymbal is, or if you can even duplicate it by buying the same brand/model. Used Zildjians are cheap enough that you try several until you find something you like. I'd be looking at medium rides, light rides, and crash-rides. Maybe the old medium-heavy, if you can find one. Revival Drums in Portland gets lots of old A. Zildjians, you could call them and see if they have something like that.

20" rides and 18" rides are distinctly different cymbals, one can't really pass as the other.

P

Peedy

Love his ride sound. I know it's a vintage 18" Zildjian. What do you guys think would be the closest cymbal today to that? I'm currently using an 18" Symphonic Viennese which sounds great but I'm not sure of its weight. Zildjian says medium. I've heard many say the Zildjian's of yester year were a lot thinner. Thanks.
I recently sold a late 1950s A. Zildjian 16in crash. It was inked as "MEDIUM". Thing is it weighed 1051 grams on the button. That would be a "THIN" by modern standards. Assuming he had a vintage medium (as per Zildjian), it's going to be what you'd think of as a thin.

Pete