Ahead Weighted Work Out Drumsticks

Musashi

Hi guys,
I'm working on developing my speed with fingers and wrist.
Currently I'm able to do singles at around 170 BPM steady and even.
The other day I found these sticks for practice in Amazon.

Do you think they may be a good tool to work on my speed?
Is there any danger to the wrist on using them?

Thanks

Richard.Awesome

i've used metal sticks for a few years. i think they definitely help with control, speed and power, but more than 20 minutes a day would be overkill. as long as you're relaxed with solid technique i don't think you have too much to worry about in terms of injury (again, as long as you don't overdue the time)

similar to these: http://store.drumbum.com/skuSTK-69.html

$40+, but one pair should last you a lifetime.

Richard.Awesome

ok going to your link about the Ahead sticks, at the same price I think the standard metal ones are a better choice. of course that is my opinion... but they will be more durable, and probably heavier. they can only be used on practice pad though.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Yeah marching drum sticks are relatively cheap and perfect for that. MS2, Ralph Hardimons, whatever you'd like to use!

porter

Platinum Member
Those Drum Bum sticks look more interesting but IMO marching sticks are better practice sticks if you're playing with sub-.600 sticks normally. A pair of MS4s would serve you nicely, I think.

Now, if you play with marching sticks normally like I do... then some solid metal sticks like those by Power Wrist Builders (not the drum bum example as they appear to be quite thin at 1/2" diameter) can be very good. But PWB appear to be highly inactive and not available for purchase anymore – I have a friend who has a pair of the brass sticks, which are hilariously heavy, and he said it took a lot of pestering the owner to get that pair out of his storage.

Haven't tried the Aheads, and I don't intend on practicing with sticks thinner than I play with, but if you play with 5As or around there normally they could be great.

Musashi

Thanks for your comments.

The marching sticks sounds like a really good cheap option.

My question is, which are the heaviest marching stick that you would recommend?

Thanks

Spaz

I also use a marching stick. I'm not sure what brand makes the heaviest. But makes a large difference in playing for me.

porter

Platinum Member
The Vic Firth MS4 I mentioned is made out of a composite (IIRC) material called Sta-Pac that's denser than hickory. Although, I guess if you play light sticks normally, even a hickory marching stick could be quite heavy. Maybe the Hardimon Indoor stick would be good for that, it's hickory and not quite as thick as other marching sticks. (Personally, I've just gone from the MS2 to the Innovative Percussion Brett Kuhn, it's a little thinner than the MS2, a tiny bit thicker than the Indoor, and it's made out of heartwood hickory which generally lasts longer.)

Seafroggys

Silver Member
My pad playing sticks are the MS2's. My favorite performance stick are the old Jim Casellas, which I think were renamed MS3's sometime in the past 12 years or so.

Ralph Hardimons are heavier than those. I'm not sure if they're the heaviest.