Ahead or Pork Pie BBB snare

yesric

I've been looking at both and any input would be much
appreciated.They seem to be around the same price range.

The Ahead comes with a S-Hoops, Fat Cat wires, and a Dunnett (or Trick) strainer, but is roughly $100 more. I have a Ludwig aluminum with S-Hoops, and they are pretty cool.

Not sure if the wires on the PP are high end or not, but the hoops are 2.3 mm (same as the S-Hoop) and the strainer is decent. I had a strainer similar to the Ahead on my Edge, and while it was nice, it was nothing to get excited about - it didn't make the drum sound any better. I have the same strainer on my Pearl that the PP has and it's fine for what it does.

So then it comes down to the shell. Neither are seamless, and are both probably somewhere in the 1.2mm range, so I don't think you're going to hear a huge difference there.

Personally, I think the Ahead looks cooler, but I would probably get the PP anyway (although, I might flip a coin).

I have a Pearl Sensitone Elite that is also right in there: Black on Brass, 2.3 mm hoops, good wires, and at the same price point as the PP BBB. It rocks.

Just my $0.02

The Ahead comes with a S-Hoops, Fat Cat wires, and a Dunnett (or Trick) strainer, but is roughly $100 more. I have a Ludwig aluminum with S-Hoops, and they are pretty cool.

Not sure if the wires on the PP are high end or not, but the hoops are 2.3 mm (same as the S-Hoop) and the strainer is decent. I had a strainer similar to the Ahead on my Edge, and while it was nice, it was nothing to get excited about - it didn't make the drum sound any better. I have the same strainer on my Pearl that the PP has and it's fine for what it does.

So then it comes down to the shell. Neither are seamless, and are both probably somewhere in the 1.2mm range, so I don't think you're going to hear a huge difference there.

Personally, I think the Ahead looks cooler, but I would probably get the PP anyway (although, I might flip a coin).

I have a Pearl Sensitone Elite that is also right in there: Black on Brass, 2.3 mm hoops, good wires, and at the same price point as the PP BBB. It rocks.

Just my $0.02

Thankyou so much.I appreciate all the info and the Pearl, i should have said was
in the mix as well.I keep scouring Ebay.But my heart says Ludwig Black Beauty.lol

...But my heart says Ludwig Black Beauty.lol
So does mine! These are all decent knock-offs though, with the major difference being that the Black Beauties are seamless shells. I don't know how much difference that actually makes. I'd love to do an A-B comparison one of these days.

You can't go wrong with either. I have the Pork Pie but the Ahead is virtually the same shell and you spend just a tad more for the S hoops.

Check out the Ludwig Black Magic. It has the same shell but sweeter looking lugs and die cast hoops. I think it is the best mid priced snare in this category out there right now.

Definitely worth a listen!

If you want a seamless bb-like snare, try a older yamaha symfonic brass or manu or gadd sig.

I think you have to be careful about Yamaha: My local drum shop guy informed me that Yamaha used to make seamless brass but doesn't anymore. I was unable to independently verify with just the Yamaha website. In fact, I'm inclined to assume that if a company doesn't explicitly state that their shell is seamless, then it probably isn't.

Last edited:
So does mine! These are all decent knock-offs though, with the major difference being that the Black Beauties are seamless shells. I don't know how much difference that actually makes. I'd love to do an A-B comparison one of these days.

After all these discussions we've had on this - I'm going to have the opportunity in a few weeks. If you'll remember, I have a 14x6.5" BB w/ tube lugs. I'm going to pick up two same-sized Sensitone Elite (the Brass and Au models). If I like the Sensitone enough, I may sell off the BB to cover the cost - since both Pearl snares come in cheaper than a new BB!

I'll post some sounds and pics when I do this...since this topic comes up regularly.

I think you have to be careful about Yamaha: My local drum shop guy informed me that Yamaha used to make seamless brass but doesn't anymore. I was able to independently verify with just the Yamaha website. In fact, I'm inclined to assume that if a company doesn't explicitly state that their shell is seamless, then it probably isn't.

Its even a fact that they stopped producing seamless shells because of the high construction prices. Thats why i said older ;)

i had a original bb by the way that wasnt seamless to. Still sounded great.

Its even a fact that they stopped producing seamless shells because of the high construction prices. Thats why i said older ;)
I've wondered about that: why does Pearl make a seamless aluminum Sensitone, but not a seamless brass one - is brass really that much harder to work with??
i had a original bb by the way that wasnt seamless to. Still sounded great.
Really? I've never heard a more blasphemous comment in all my life! Is that really true??

After all these discussions we've had on this - I'm going to have the opportunity in a few weeks. If you'll remember, I have a 14x6.5" BB w/ tube lugs. I'm going to pick up two same-sized Sensitone Elite (the Brass and Au models). If I like the Sensitone enough, I may sell off the BB to cover the cost - since both Pearl snares come in cheaper than a new BB!

I'll post some sounds and pics when I do this...since this topic comes up regularly.

I'm stoked to read the full report! Are you going to make any mods to the Black Beauty (heads, hoops & wires) for a controlled experiment? Better dust off the drum dial, too! Can't wait to hear the clips.

I'm stoked to read the full report! Are you going to make any mods to the Black Beauty (heads, hoops & wires) for a controlled experiment? Better dust off the drum dial, too! Can't wait to hear the clips.

I already have. I use Remo ambs (coated over hazy) and 30-strand Puresound wires. I'll use the same heads/snares on the Sensitone. I'm guessing Pearls Superhoops and Ludwig's triple-flanged are close enough? I don't own or use a drum dial but will experiment with tuning and make notes.

Given my experience so far w/ Pearl and Ludwig, I'm willing to bet the construction quality of the Sensitone snare is superior. The strainer on my BB is junk...it tends to stick in the down position and requires both hands to get it back to the up position.

As for sound, I'm willing to bet they're not radically different...but that will probably depend more on the thickness of the shell than whether or not it's spun/seamless. Ludwig's edges are round, too...which no doubt influences the tuning dramatically.

We'll see!

I'm guessing Pearls Superhoops and Ludwig's triple-flanged are close enough?
I don't think so - my aluminum supra benefited mightily from switching to 2.3 mm hoops over the stock 1.6 mm hoops. Those are as chintzy as the P-85!
As for sound, I'm willing to bet they're not radically different...but that will probably depend more on the thickness of the shell than whether or not it's spun/seamless. Ludwig's edges are round, too...which no doubt influences the tuning dramatically.

We'll see!

The Pearl shell thickness is 1.5mm and I'm almost positive that the Ludwig is thinner - maybe a 1.2mm?? They don't publish that but the drums feel pretty light to me.

Everything I said is true. Yes it was non seamless AND original. Yes it sounded great. Some company's set theire expanses on a different field. Especially when the hearable difference is so small (a change of head does more to the sound)
I'll have to take your word for it, since I don't know much about BB history - just what's been out in recent years. You nailed it with the "hearable" difference comment. That's exactly what I'm interested in - like, is it a $350 hearable difference? : )

I don't think so - my aluminum supra benefited mightily from switching to 2.3 mm hoops over the stock 1.6 mm hoops. Those are as chintzy as the P-85!

Yeah i hear that.I have the 402 which i love but the p-85 is Mickey Mouse considering
the quality of the drum.I love the hoops idea and i'm going to get on that right away.

Yeah i hear that.I have the 402 which i love but the p-85 is Mickey Mouse considering the quality of the drum.I love the hoops idea and i'm going to get on that right away.
That's the same drum I have. I got it used but it was completely stock, including the pathetic Ludwig heads (top and bottom).

I put on a Ambassador coated top / hazy bottom, S-Hoops, Puresound Blasters (20 strand), and put a P-86 on it (not that it did much other than look cool), and that drum just crackles with crackly crack like it could never hope to do with the original Ludwig stuff.

Nothing against Ludwig, they make really great shells ;)

Go with the Ahead Snare....

I know people that own each one, and I tried them both out.
They are both killer drums, but the Ahead Snare is pimped out more. I use those S-hoops on all my snares and if I bought the Pork Pie, I would probably toss one on it anyway.

I cuz picked up the Black Magic recently and hated it. He returned it for the Ahead Snare, he is 1000x happier.

I have a Ludwig Engraved BB 6.5x14, a Worldmax Black Dawg (5x14), and an Ahead 6x13 in my collection and I have used all extensively. By far the best sounding for recording or live is the Ahead. I'm not sure if it is the smaller diameter, but it has just the right amount of ring (mid-hi range), attack and sensitivity. The S hoops are awesome (I've installed them on my venerable Ludwig LM402), and the Dunnett throw off is perfect. The only alteration I've made is to replace the FatCat wires with Puresound Custom wires (recording preference). All of these snares are great, but the Ahead snare drum has it all.

I've been looking at both and .......

They're both great snares. You can get the Ahead for $299 (all day) off of eBay. Actually, that's what people want for them. I've never seen one sell. I've got one, I traded a kick drum for. Figured a snare would be "easier" to store (it is) than a kick drum I didn't need. PM me with an offer, if you're serious about buying. Right now, I'm "in love" with my Omar Hakim snare.

I also own an Ahead -- beautiful sounding, well-constructed drum that is made all the better by its low price.

spleen

I absolutely love my Pork Pie BBB. Just did some demo recordings with it this past weekend if you're interested in hearing how it sounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSmniIcVszk

I have a coasted Ambassador on top and clear Ambassador on bottom. A strip of Moongel halfway on the head. Minimal processing done to the mix you hear... mostly just a blend of the SM57 close mic and the 2 SM81 overhead mics.

For what I paid for it (like $230 a while ago)... it's been perhaps the best drum purchase I've ever made. I was on the fence about a legit Black Beauty but opted for this. Not regretting it at all.

Back