Ahead Drumsticks

• Thread starter Deleted member 525878
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 525878

Okay, enough of my merriment.....

I've recently switched to Vic Firth American Classic 5a Nylon-tip sticks. I previously used the 5b.
I don't break sticks, and one pair lasts me for a couple months on my home set.
The shoulders eventually wear down, and then it's time for a new pair.

I am curious about Ahead sticks. Your thoughts and / or recommendations, please.......

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I used them for a couple of years. I had issues with the tips coming off and damaging heads, and the blend ring splitting and pinching my fingers. More annoyance than anything.

Overall they weren't horrible.

Oh yeah, filling them with expanding spray foam does not make them feel like wood.

Ryan Culberson

I use and love the 5 A/B hybrid model. I'm a middle-aged dude battling with arthritis in both hands and an old baseball injury in my right hand. Grip has been an issue my entire drumming life. The Ahead sticks are comfortable (just make sure to use grip tape with them), durable, and in many situations sound better to me than wood sticks. They have a softer sound and feel on cymbals, yet a stronger sound and feel on drums.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I use and love the 5 A/B hybrid model. I'm a middle-aged dude battling with arthritis in both hands and an old baseball injury in my right hand. Grip has been an issue my entire drumming life. The Ahead sticks are comfortable (just make sure to use grip tape with them), durable, and in many situations sound better to me than wood sticks. They have a softer sound and feel on cymbals, yet a stronger sound and feel on drums.
Have you tried the Drum-Eze grips?

C.M. Jones

AHEAD makes the best sticks I've ever encountered. Their shock absorption is phenomenal, and their lifespan, at least in my case, is unmatched by any species of wood. The 5B Light Rock model suits my every need. It's the only stick I use now, meaning I don't own even a single pair of wood sticks.
Attached is a photo of a pair of my 5Bs. I always apply white grip tape.

Attachments

Ryan Culberson

AHEAD makes the best sticks I've ever encountered. Their shock absorption is phenomenal, and their lifespan, at least in my case, is unmatched by any species of wood. The 5B Light Rock model suits my every need. It's the only stick I use now, meaning I don't own even a single pair of wood sticks.
Attached is a photo of a pair of my 5Bs. I always apply white grip tape.
C.M., what's your grip tape of choice? I generally use Pro Mark tape, but yours looks intriguing.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I tried them years ago and didn’t like that they didn’t feel like what I was used to. I guess in their quest for shock absorption, they feel different. I went back to wood after a month of trying. But you really should get a pair to try - they might work for you better than they did for me.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I use and love the 5 A/B hybrid model. I'm a middle-aged dude battling with arthritis in both hands and an old baseball injury in my right hand.
How is the arthritis affected with AHEAD vs wood? I'm curious because everyone in my family has arthritis. My fingers are crooked so it's only a matter of time, and time is no longer on my side. It's starting to catch up.

Ryan Culberson

How is the arthritis affected with AHEAD vs wood? I'm curious because everyone in my family has arthritis. My fingers are crooked so it's only a matter of time, and time is no longer on my side. It's starting to catch up.
MrInsane, the Ahead sticks are designed for maximum shock absorption. I can feel a noticeable difference between them and a hickory drumstick, especially on rimshots and other harder strikes on the drum set. When I am doing a quiet gig or session, I use maple drumsticks, as they are softer than hickory as well, but any gig requiring volume, the Ahead sticks come out.

C.M. Jones

MrInsane, the Ahead sticks are designed for maximum shock absorption. I can feel a noticeable difference between them and a hickory drumstick, especially on rimshots and other harder strikes on the drum set. When I am doing a quiet gig or session, I use maple drumsticks, as they are softer than hickory as well, but any gig requiring volume, the Ahead sticks come out.
Fortunately, I have no hand conditions or other problems related to, or aggravated by, drumming, but I can attest to the fact that AHEAD is extremely kind to the physique. Wood sticks feel like steel rods by comparison. I can't imagine returning to that rigid format.