AHEAD Drumsticks- Update

Well!
Sorry for taking so long, but I really wanted to give these amazing sticks a thorough audition.
Couldn't detect any pitch difference. Each stick is a clone!
Construction is superb! Super straight!
I had a heck of a time trying to get used to the forward-feeling weight.
The tips were not to my taste. Too big for me. I ended up using the mini-ball tip, fastened with Krazy Glue.
I was amazed how the tips sounded more like wood as compared to my usual Vic Firth American Classic 5B nylons.
The bright attack of the Firths was replaced with a deeper sound on cymbals.
I loved how they sounded on snare and toms.
I love to fly around 7 toms, a la Cobham, but I felt bogged down by the forward weight. The thicker, short taper doesn't work for me.
I can't swing with them, either!

I just ordered a pair of the Classic 5As.
Let's see what the medium taper and smaller diameter does for me....
The slightly forward balance threw me off, too.

Well!
Sorry for taking so long, but I really wanted to give these amazing sticks a thorough audition.
Couldn't detect any pitch difference. Each stick is a clone!
Construction is superb! Super straight!
I had a heck of a time trying to get used to the forward-feeling weight.
The tips were not to my taste. Too big for me. I ended up using the mini-ball tip, fastened with Krazy Glue.
I was amazed how the tips sounded more like wood as compared to my usual Vic Firth American Classic 5B nylons.
The bright attack of the Firths was replaced with a deeper sound on cymbals.
I loved how they sounded on snare and toms.
I love to fly around 7 toms, a la Cobham, but I felt bogged down by the forward weight. The thicker, short taper doesn't work for me.
I can't swing with them, either!

Ah, I thought you ordered the 5B Light Rock model, which is what I use. It has a long taper and isn't forward-weighted at all. I think you'd be very happy with it if you don't like short tapers.

Click the 5B Light Rock link below:

Ah, I thought you ordered the 5B Light Rock model, which is what I use. It has a long taper and isn't forward-weighted at all. I think you'd be very happy with it if you don't like short tapers.

Click the 5B Light Rock link below:

Thanks for that, C.M.

I hope they work out for you.
I went in the opposite direction. I started with a 5A. I didn't love it, so I decided to try a 5B with a long taper thinking that might make the difference. Unfortunately, it didn't. I feel like I gave them a real chance. I know I'll still try them every now and again. There certainly are a lot of pros to these sticks, but they're just not for me.

Reactions: Jml
I hope they work out for you.
I went in the opposite direction. I started with a 5A. I didn't love it, so I decided to try a 5B with a long taper thinking that might make the difference. Unfortunately, it didn't. I feel like I gave them a real chance. I know I'll still try them every now and again. There certainly are a lot of pros to these sticks, but they're just not for me.
Thanks, Mcdonap.

I got to try these sticks, I am happy with my wood sticks but something more durable would be nice.

I got to try these sticks, I am happy with my wood sticks but something more durable would be nice.
They're worth trying. I was interested in the lower vibrational aspect. I had some issues with my hand a while back and this seemed like a good thing to pursue.
Luckily, with help from this forum, I have been able to alleviate the problem(s) I has having. Using wood sticks seems fine at the moment. Still, I'm always on the lookout for anything that may help.

They're worth trying. I was interested in the lower vibrational aspect. I had some issues with my hand a while back and this seemed like a good thing to pursue.
Luckily, with help from this forum, I have been able to alleviate the problem(s) I has having. Using wood sticks seems fine at the moment. Still, I'm always on the lookout for anything that may help.
I do find vibrations in the sticks can be annoying.

When you use ahead sticks do you have the feeling they are about to break like you have with wood sticks? I am a heavy hitter and with wood sticks this is my warning that I need to get a new stick before the one I am using breaks.

I've been using mine at home for a couple of practices I think I have 5 As. They do feel like they are forward heavy but they are starting to feel better in my hands. Also buzzing around the kit I had the feeling that I was off a little bit off kind of sluggish feeling as was mentioned earlier. I imagine all that will go away as I get used to playing with them.

I’ve always played wood tips, I don’t like the sound of nylon tips at all. For this reason , I’ve never tried Ahead sticks. Am I wrong to assume that they sound like nylon tips?

I’ve always played wood tips, I don’t like the sound of nylon tips at all. For this reason , I’ve never tried Ahead sticks. Am I wrong to assume that they sound like nylon tips?
No, you're not wrong to assume that. They do, in my opinion, sound different from a wood stick with a nylon tip. It's still more of a "nylon" sound, though.

When you use ahead sticks do you have the feeling they are about to break like you have with wood sticks? I am a heavy hitter and with wood sticks this is my warning that I need to get a new stick before the one I am using breaks.
No. It just breaks in my experience. No warning.

As a heavy hitter you might want to stick with wood. Your cymbals will thank you.

I tried the Ahead 5b light rock and they were WAY too big and heavy for my liking. I may need to try the 5a. If those don’t work out, I’m done with my Ahead experiment.

If you guys that try the Ahead 5A's and don't like them, I may be interested in buying them.

I tried the Ahead 5b light rock and they were WAY too big and heavy for my liking. I may need to try the 5a. If those don’t work out, I’m done with my Ahead experiment.
If it was just the size that you didn't like, the 5A may work.
I've tried both and they have a similar feel. If you didn't care for the feel and response, the smaller size might not be the solution.

AHEAD CLASSIC 5A
Wow!
They arrived this afternoon. I was comfortable with them as soon as I played!
They are my new 5As for life!
I still want to try out the regular 5B Classic with their long taper. Until then, I'll be using the 5A.
I might get the optional mallet tops for the 5B Rock pair.
Also, I could use the 5BR as they are as practice pad sticks.

AHEAD CLASSIC 5A
Wow!
They arrived this afternoon. I was comfortable with them as soon as I played!
They are my new 5As for life!
I still want to try out the regular 5B Classic with their long taper. Until then, I'll be using the 5A.
I might get the optional mallet tops for the 5B Rock pair.
Also, I could use the 5BR as they are as practice pad sticks.
I find it extraordinarily inspiring that we've had several AHEAD converts as of late, namely @MrInsanePolack, who I believe has switched to AHEAD exclusively, and now @ToneT, who may very well end up an AHEAD addict as well. They're truly great sticks whose consistent construction and superb performance make it impossible for me to consider returning to wood.

Definitely give the 5B Light Rock model a spin, @ToneT. I suspect you'll be happy with them. And yes, your heavier 5B Rock sticks should serve you well for pad workouts. The extra weight is good for conditioning. It also reduces vibrations even further by absorbing more impact.

I find it extraordinarily inspiring that we've had several AHEAD converts as of late, namely @MrInsanePolack, who I believe has switched to AHEAD exclusively, and now @ToneT, who may very well end up an AHEAD addict as well. They're truly great sticks whose consistent construction and superb performance make it impossible for me to consider returning to wood.
It's weird because I feel like (now) that when I used them in the past, I wasnt using the stick properly. I was more wrists then. Now that I'm more fingers, I feel like I've unlocked some sort of hidden potential the stick offers. I didnt realize back then what I was missing obviously.

I am all in. It's been a month, they feel normal. I've even switched hands and cant tell at all. That says something as I'm a left stick/right stick only guy. It's quite satisfying actually.

I've even switched hands and cant tell at all. That says something as I'm a left stick/right stick only guy. It's quite satisfying actually.
AHEAD's quality control is astonishingly reliable. Just for kicks, I weigh each stick on a postal scale every time I get a new pair. My 5B Light Rocks always weigh precisely 58 grams, and that's been over a period of several years. I'd expect at least a one-gram deviation every now and then, but it hasn't happened yet. And yes, the balance is spot-on as well. I can never tell the difference between two sticks just by picking them up randomly. The factory must take its mission pretty seriously.

Back