Ah yes, Dave weckl

V

vorsybl

Hi, I was wondering if someone had any insight on this excerpt extracted from an otherwise complex as hell session by the infamous weckl. They sound like triplets of some kind but could be eighth notes just at a high tempo. It's a trippy pattern though. In fact, this whole vid is trippy he's nasty on that kit sounds of all kinds everywehre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWNg5Odj_ys

2:18-2:22

Well, he basically playing swing with some transitions in and out of sambas and songos.

Its a different thing that he's playing the crap out of em.

The hair, I agree is bothersome however.

PS- a little known fact; Chick himself is a very impressive drummer as well, and Pattatuci's time is scary good.

The mullet is his trademark imo lol and that shirt is killer my favorite part is at 1:55

Yes it is a fine mullet. Must've cost a few cans of hairspray to perfect that one.

As for his playing. The ride/bass/snare pattern @2:20 goes like this.
4 groups of 4. Here's the sticking:

RLRL RLLR LLRL LRL- (rest on last note)

For arguments sake we'll play these as 16ths with the high hat on each quarter note.
Now place the bassdrum on the 1, the "and" of 1, and also the "and" of 3 - all right hand ride hits.

rlRL, rllR, llrl, lRL-
b-b----------b--------

All l's are kept on snare. All r's are on the ride cymbal. Capitals are accents (full stroke on snare/bell of ride).

It'd be a great asset if there was an easier way of notating on this site.

For arguments sake we'll play these as 16ths with the high hat on each quarter note.
Now place the bassdrum on the 1, the "and" of 1, and also the "and" of 3 - all right hand ride hits.

rlRL, rllR, llrl, lRL-
b-b----------b--------

All l's are kept on snare. All r's are on the ride cymbal. Capitals are accents (full stroke on snare/bell of ride).

Good job (20x20/20=20)

Yes it is a fine mullet. Must've cost a few cans of hairspray to perfect that one.

rlRL, rllR, llrl, lRL-
b-b----------b--------

It'd be a great asset if there was an easier way of notating on this site.

Dude this is awesome man can't thank you enough i've been pondering that little part for a while now, I know exactly what you're saying and I'm about to go try it I'd write it out for you but my computer died unfortunately

That's cool. Glad I could help. I was just thinking it would be really convenient to have a notation option when replying.

It'd save us having posts like this ;)

---->-->
x-x--x-x
-t-----t-t2
S--(s)--
-B(l)-B(r)--

Back