Agop

MikeM

Platinum Member
Okay, so I'm changing my tune here a little. Always been kind of a big 3 guy, with heavy emphasis on Zildjian and 2oo2s.

I was out running errands and stopped by a music store I don't normally go to to check out their cymbal collection (cuz it ain't friggn' CG!). I smacked all the usual suspects: the Armands, and A Medium Thins (a little cold) the Sabian AAX crashes (a little dead still) some Twenties and so on, you get the idea.

Than I happened onto the Istanbul rack. I tapped on the rides, and as usual, I thought they were too dark and complex for my taste, but then I got to the crashes: There was one in particular: an 18" Traditional Medium Thin that I swear was the most beautiful crash EVER. Blew any Zildjian (including K Customs) in that room outta the water. I was seriously thinking about a way to shoplift that sucker since I was broke, or just throw it on the plastic and risk divorce. Then I thought If I sold my kit, I could get all new Traditional Medium Thins of various sizes, but that wouldn't work out so well, either, since I only have one kit...

I've never owned or was even interested in Turkish cymbals until tody, but I may have become a convert. Watch out, nothing worse than a noob with a passion!

dwdrummerky

Nice to hear another drummer being turned on by the genuine Turkish sound! I love Agop cymbals and they are a significantly different shade apart from the big 3. I started out the same way thinking that they are sooo dark and mysterious sounding. I started out with a 22" light ride and never turned back. If you are looking for the genuine "k" sound in a new cymbal look no further because when K Zil sold the original operation in Istanbul, Agop and Mehmet bought the foundry and continued the tradition, only now the brothers have split but still carry on the handmade tradition.

Steamer

Platinum Member
I became a Agop "convert" some years back and yes there's no turning back once you are hooked :}

harryconway

Platinum Member
And Mehmet. And a few "others". I'm a total convert, but I'll also support any "conspiricy theory" that they are "dark and mysterious sounding".

Attachments

Filacterua

Mike

Once you put that up in your kit, you will want to change the rest of your pies.

You won't regret it tho...I know I haven't...

F

Drums&Beer

This is always great to hear.

I have been using Agop and Bosphorus cymbals for a couple of years now, & I have been extremely pleased with the results. There's a lot to be said about the quality of these instruments and the fact that when you do buy one, you can rest assured that it's as unique as your own fingerprint.

Mike - It's interesting that the crashes turned you on and not the rides. I got into Turkish cymbals while looking for a ride cymbal that was warm, crash-able and wouldn't blow 4-5 measures of moderately amplified music out of the water when I laid into it a bit. Anyway I always viewed the ride cymbals as the gateway instrument of Turkish cymbals.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Mike - It's interesting that the crashes turned you on and not the rides. I got into Turkish cymbals while looking for a ride cymbal that was warm, crash-able and wouldn't blow 4-5 measures of moderately amplified music out of the water when I laid into it a bit. Anyway I always viewed the ride cymbals as the gateway instrument of Turkish cymbals.
Me too, and I've never been crazy about the rides, to be honest. Or at least the one that would rope me in hasn't done so yet. But geez, I really love those crashes.

Almost bought that 18" Medium Thin on Sunday, but I'm saving for a 24" kick drum and didn't want to jeopardize that. Cymbals come and go, kick drums are forever, doncha know. Next time!!

Do any of the Turkish makers have warranties like the big 3?

Drums&Beer

Me too, and I've never been crazy about the rides, to be honest. Or at least the one that would rope me in hasn't done so yet. But geez, I really love those crashes.

Almost bought that 18" Medium Thin on Sunday, but I'm saving for a 24" kick drum and didn't want to jeopardize that. Cymbals come and go, kick drums are forever, doncha know. Next time!!

Do any of the Turkish makers have warranties like the big 3?
I am not sure about warranties with the Turkish makers. I usually don't crack cymbals so I have never worried about that. I think the last cymbal I broke was a 16" Zildjian Platinum thin crash back in the early 90's. My old band mates had big amps so I played a lot harder back then.

I am exactly the opposite. Cymbals and good snares are forever, toms and bass drums get sold and or changed out periodically, although good 12x8 racks & 14x14 floor toms are always nice to have around.

volvoguy

I've learned that all you get from the "big three" is an overpriced cymbal...

I've been loving my Mehmets. Got ride number three in the mail just this past week.

-Ryan

sleeping buddha

I have been really interested in the Turkish cymbals for a while, but no one around me has them that I know of.

I did, however find out that some friends are going to Turkey for their honeymoon and the first thing that popped into my mind was "Turkish cymbals". I wonder if they are cheaper over there?

Filacterua

Unless you're REAL close with them (so much that they would not bother lugging around a large metal disc through international customs), I would probably not do this. I would try purchasing one locally through the Internet (sight unseen would be at least equal to trusting a newlywed couple to pick something out for you - unless he is a fellow drummer)...