Aging out

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Man I had a really great thought but I blanked out.

Oh wait!...no nevermind, it's gone.

It'll come to me.

While working I make a few trips to my truck and a lot of times I can't remember right away why I walked out there again. Happens All. The. Time.
If it makes you feel better, I ran out of gas on the way home from work today...and I’m only 45 lol

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If it makes you feel better, I ran out of gas on the way home from work today...and I’m only 45 lol

Your misfortune doesn't make my day man. Well maybe a little bit ha ha.

It is pretty funny...to me...I'm sure it wasn't all that funny to you at the time.

So mission accomplished on trying to make me feel better. It worked!

It's like when your buddy falls off ladder or something.

Frickin hilarious

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
One particular reason, from several reasons, that I quit my church gig recently was because I cannot remember my drum parts anymore. I became constantly glued to the sheet music and my notes, both with new and older songs that I have done a million times. It became "work" to get through songs and sucked the fun out of playing. I felt like my playing was going downhill as well, partly because of all the thinking I was constantly doing, which kept me from relaxing and just playing from my heart. It didn't help that most of the new songs were not my cup of tea either.

Oh my gosh, me too!!! After playing worship for well over 20 years, I found myself having to make notes for every dang song. I mean, how many hipster tom patterns can a person memorize?!? I grew to really detest the style of worship music that’s popular now. I stepped off the team last year although I burned out about 3 years ago. I really thought something was wrong with me for losing my passion for worship music, but maybe it was just time, you know? Now I spend my time playing music I enjoy with people I love. Oh, and no more notes. 🤠👍

Not entirely related, perhaps, but I always found Bill Bruford's explanation for why he retired fascinating: "I had a sense that I was tiring—not physically, but mentally. That my ideas weren't so good, I didn't have so many ideas...I couldn't hear what came next."

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Oh my gosh, me too!!! After playing worship for well over 20 years, I found myself having to make notes for every dang song. I mean, how many hipster tom patterns can a person memorize?!? I grew to really detest the style of worship music that’s popular now. I stepped off the team last year although I burned out about 3 years ago. I really thought something was wrong with me for losing my passion for worship music, but maybe it was just time, you know? Now I spend my time playing music I enjoy with people I love. Oh, and no more notes. 🤠👍
I had pretty much the same experience-felt like I was performing rather than worship-often I had to sit through the same exact service twice which this fella always went over time-which was fine the first time. Just burned out-but I'll be honest I miss it too.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Rockabilly gig? Walking bass lines, 2 and 4 rimshots — those tunes have got to be really similar, and repetitive, right? Who could blame you for confusing songs, or checking out occasionally, after what, years? Go easy on yourself. One of my gigs was so repetitive, I checked out for 10 tunes. I was beyond ready for different/better music, but I didn’t want to be a quitter. We’re not robots. Playing the same music over and over is great when you’re developing your skills, but after a while it’s not good anymore.

And don’t underestimate fatigue. Sleep is important.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Thought you were talking about DCI.

me too...

but no, I will play metal/punk/rock etc until I physically can't

I don't think you "grow out" of music. you might grow out of some of the lyrical concepts...like the whole "Satanic" thing that used to draw me to metal does not even register anymore.

and for me, the lyrical content was/is always the very last thing I pay attention to in songs anyways...

moodman

74 here, I always figured that as one got older the chops might slow but not the drum savvy and that those smarts would compensate, especially since the 'less is more' approach is so often appropriate, simpler, more mindful playing.
Might the concentration thing be more about repetition, kind of draining your 'fire' to play?
I've seen the like of this in a couple of my older music buds, if they liked a song they played great and if not, 'phoning it in' they always seemed to forget or miss something.
I'm playing some tunes that I've played for decades and, to be honest, there's one or two I could live without. Still, on those tunes, I've made my peace and do my damnedest, like I love them.
On the other hand, if I got play nothing but new stuff, I'd be down with that in a minute because I know that the 'fire' would return.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Rockabilly gig? Walking bass lines, 2 and 4 rimshots — those tunes have got to be really similar, and repetitive, right? Who could blame you for confusing songs, or checking out occasionally, after what, years? Go easy on yourself. One of my gigs was so repetitive, I checked out for 10 tunes. I was beyond ready for different/better music, but I didn’t want to be a quitter. We’re not robots. Playing the same music over and over is great when you’re developing your skills, but after a while it’s not good anymore.

And don’t underestimate fatigue. Sleep is important.

Yup...and I play standing up which I'm sure adds to the fatigue issue.
Also, I feel it's who I play with. He's one of those "perfectionist" musicians where no one can play his version of songs the way he feels they should be.
Yet he screws up as much as everyone else, but doesn't own it.

So because anxiety is present all the time, I can't relax & enjoy playing.
I haven't played with that dude in over a year (thanks, COVID) and it's taught me not to get back with that gig.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I did have an MRI last year for headaches & everything checked out fine
You know they contract the folks that read those out to other countries.
I knew the folks that invented MRI and you need to be careful as it's not as cut and dried as you think.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
You know they contract the folks that read those out to other countries.
I knew the folks that invented MRI and you need to be careful as it's not as cut and dried as you think.
Perhaps, but what can I as a "nobody" really do about that?
I had mine done at the VA, so maybe there's hope. ;)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Yup...and I play standing up which I'm sure adds to the fatigue issue.
Also, I feel it's who I play with. He's one of those "perfectionist" musicians where no one can play his version of songs the way he feels they should be.
Yet he screws up as much as everyone else, but doesn't own it.

I haven't played with that dude in over a year (thanks, COVID) and it's taught me not to get back with that gig.

I think that is the worst kind of person to play with...I only deal with that in my community wind band...a bunch of old retired band directors who still think they are first chair in college band or where ever.

TMe

Excessive anxiety and/or tension makes us stupid. Maybe that's the problem, not age.

For me, the big issues are that my hands are cramping up, my knees are shot, I just don't look the part, and most Rock lyrics seem puerile. That, and the better I get, the more critical of my own playing I get.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
don't think you "grow out" of music. you might grow out of some of the lyrical concepts...like the whole "Satanic" thing that used to draw me to metal does not even register anymore.
I find it funny anymore, the satanic lyric thing. It's just a big pissing contest, we can be more evil than you! Look at my guitar, it is so black. Those drums, they are soooooo black too. Nothing is blacker. My corpse paint, it tells you I am the purest of evil. Satan is afraid of me. Now I gotta go have dinner with my mom, but I'll be back later to be evil once again. Hail satan (just dont tell my parents).

C.M. Jones

I find it funny anymore, the satanic lyric thing. It's just a big pissing contest, we can be more evil than you! Look at my guitar, it is so black. Those drums, they are soooooo black too. Nothing is blacker. My corpse paint, it tells you I am the purest of evil. Satan is afraid of me. Now I gotta go have dinner with my mom, but I'll be back later to be evil once again. Hail satan (just dont tell my parents).
So that's the problem with kids today; they're all worshiping the Devil -- through the artificial medium of iPads, that is.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Oh, I'm sure those kids have to deal with this too...

I researched the boredom part & sometimes I do "check out" a bit. But the "brain farts" of missing song parts is an issue beyond what I thought was boredom.
I did have an MRI last year for headaches & everything checked out fine. So I'll keep rolling & see if maybe some fresh songs will help me get back on the horse.

I thought about that too. It was the worst when I was in an acoustic duo & my guitar partner was one of those perfectionist types. Nothing was good enough & if the song went bad, it was always the fault of something or someone other than he.

I forgot a lot of stops with that dude...
I don't know, I made those same mistakes in the wedding band now and then, in my thirties and forties. It just happens. Fresh repertoire wouldn't hurt. Now don't get into the habit of blaming everything on your age! After a while you might start believing it.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

So that's the problem with kids today; they're all worshiping the Devil -- through the artificial medium of iPads, that is.

social media on ipads...social media IS the root of all evil