Aftermarket hoop recommendations?

Just ordered a Gibraltar 3.0mm hoop for my Pearl Modern Utility 12 x 7 snare. Hope it doesn't choke it. No plans to replace the lugs unless I have to.

Switched out the stock hoop on my 12" x 7" Pearl Modern Utility snare with the 3.0mm Gibraltar hoop today, and put on an Evans G1 coated head. In the pic below the stock hoop is to the left, the Gibraltar is on the right. The hoop and head are a $40 upgrade to a $158 drum. Is it worth it? So far, I'm really happy with the sound.

IMG_3590.JPG

Try the Inde Drums snare strainer. I don't have first-hand experience with it, but a few months ago a drummer friend who owns an Acrolite with a falling-apart P85 asked my advice for replacing the throw. I did some research and it seems that the Inde strainer would make an excellent replacement. It has adjustable mounting screws that will fit most snares, including the Acrolite, and it looks like a well designed and thought-out strainer. And they're only about $50.
I installed an INDe throw off on my Acrolite last fall and it works a treat. Highly recommended. (y)

For what it's worth, I put S-Hoops on a humble (but awesome) Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare this week and it elevated the drum to new heights. Sounds like a Ludwig Supraphonic now.

Last edited:
Back