After decades, I'm letting go of the 5x14 size

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
As stated, ever since I started playing, I've always had a 5x14 snare. In fact, when I had other snares, the 5x14 was always considered my mainstay and any really important work would mean I'm bringing the 5x14 snare out.

Well, today I got brave and actually SOLD my 5x14 Tama Stewart Copeland snare, and totally took the 5x14 option off of my snare sound palette. It was a hard decision but I think a sound one.

Ever since I got into the 6.5x13 snares and even a 6.5x14 cheap-o Rockstar snare, I'm totally digging the deeper snares, and the 5x14 Copeland would stay home unused. There's a throatiness to the size that I never got with a 5x14 (although I'm the first to say you should be able to tune it to whatever you need to). So I let the Copeland snare go and will actually live the deeper depth snare size for a while. I just thought I'd mention this having played 5x14 snares for the last 40 years.....

It might be hard to find a matching deep snare when I search for a vintage Slingerland kit, but that day isn't coming anytime soon ;)

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Congratulations on going deep, lol. I have a few shallower snares but 6.5 is as shallow as I generally like them. just something lacking to me on the shallow snares, well to me anyway. Its probably time for me to thin the heard as well.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I used a deeper (Dynasonic) snare in the 80s but reverted to my old 5 x 14 vintage Drouyn. It's just sentimental - there are no doubt better sounding drums out there and many of them are deeper.

Many years ago I stumbled into another band's rehearsal space and there was this weird snare drum with clear heads and no shell. The heads were set far apart, more than 6" but can't exactly remember. It was well tuned and sounded like a cannon.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Well, that was a brave move. Gave up the Copeland snare. Man, I played my old Gretsch for about 25 years (since I started playing). And never really used anything else until one day I forgot it. Had to make a run to Sam Ash, took a look around for a minute, saw a good price on a 7x14 DDrum (I forget the wood type). It was nice for awhile. but now I have a 6.5x14 Big Black Pork Pie which is awsome. Everybody seems to like it and comment on it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of the Gretsch, but I do like these deeper ones better so the old drum will have to stick around as a back-up.

soren-k

I'm with you, Bo. I brought my Acrolite to practice tonight, just to see how it sounded with the church worship team, and while it sounded good, it just couldn't keep up on the really huge parts when we started wailing. Ended up switching to the old Rockstar snare towards the end of the practice, and it sounded much better, even though the Acro is (in my opinion) a better snare overall. If I played much jazz and big band kind of stuff, I would stick close to the standard 14x5 size, but for rock, 6.5 - 7 is the perfect depth.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Wow. You sold the Copeland snare? We did just have a blue moon....

I give you a lot of credit. When you make your mind up, that's it.

Can't say I disagree with the decision. Fives are too thin for me, too snare-ey, with not a comparable amount of body to balance it out. Forget piccolos, I really do not like that tone at all.

I'm also realizing that metal snares fatigue my ears. Give me a deep wooden snare every day of the week.

Thinking of selling my Black Beauties. It's official, metal is just not my tone.

I have only 2 wood snares and 5 metal ones. Time for more wood snares.

But I fully support your decision.

I just can't believe you sold the Copeland. I thought that you'd keep it around, it was your fav for quite some time.

larryz

Platinum Member
Ah, Bo, we all know that in a few weeks you'll have a "Just Acquired a ______ 5x14 Snare..." thread. The neverending sell/buy story. it's so much fun though :)

I'm also on board with the 80s cheaper deeper 6.5x14 snare. I love the Ludwig chrome over wood snare that came w/my Rocker set. Throatier - yes, good word choice.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps that's why Stewart hit the snare so hard ... to try and get more tone.

: )

Davo
You're a very naughty boy ;)

Bo, good for you. Bravery in decision making. Of course, "you can get any drum to sound as you wish" (copyright Bo Eder 2011), but if you want "thunk" rarther than "thonk", a bit of depth sure helps out. Alternatively, you can get extra body & a whole lot more by augmenting how you make the drum, including shell construction & wood species, but that's for another day :)

NerfLad

Silver Member
I have three 6" x 14" drums... It seems to be the magic size for me. A while ago I had a 14" x 4" MCAN snare but I wasn't really a fan of it. I like that throatiness you're talking about.

Mikeyboyeee

I'm also realizing that metal snares fatigue my ears. Give me a deep wooden snare every day of the week.
Larry,

I kind of agree with you -- but have you tried bronze? One of my go-to snares is a Mapex Phosphor Bronze Black Panther 6.5x14 -- a real nice mix of the best of metal and wood... works for me at least... I go back and forth between that and a Pearl Maple Free-floater - also a 6.5.

I'm definitely a big fan of the deeper snares -- have a few 5.5's but the don't get out nearly as much as the deeper ones.

Peace,
Mike Noll

Florian

Gold Member
Im a big fan of the Copeland, and Im primarily a wood snare guy. I think you will be looking to pick up a Copeland in the near future, they are just too versatile.

F

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Im a big fan of the Copeland, and Im primarily a wood snare guy. I think you will be looking to pick up a Copeland in the near future, they are just too versatile.

F
Perhaps, but if I didn't have that deep cheap Rockstar, I might be thinking a deep Supraphonic. I think growing up in my era of 5x14 snares has given way to that Benny Greb sound. Snarey but throaty, not just this crack I grew up with.

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Larry,

I kind of agree with you -- but have you tried bronze? One of my go-to snares is a Mapex Phosphor Bronze Black Panther 6.5x14 -- a real nice mix of the best of metal and wood... works for me at least...
I agree and have (2) lovely bronze snares to prove it: A Mapex 5.5 x 13 Phosphor Bronze and a Ludwig 6.5 x 14 Hammered Bronze. Interestingly the Mapex has won out over the Ludwig in the last few rock/blues gigs I regularly do. I'd put both up and try them, then move out into the room and have someone else play them. The Mapex was just working better. I had to resist the urge to use the Ludwig because it has a better 'rep'. :)

My Pork Pie maples get plenty of action as well but they are both 13". It just depends on the room and the situation as to which one to use.

Along the same lines as getting rid of he Copeland, I'm going to be selling my solid ash Pork Pie 6 x 14 soon. A very nice drum that I like playing but isn't making it on the majority of the gigs as there always seems to be a better choice, sound wise for what I'm doing. When a piece of gear gets to that point I have to let it go. Just not enough storage area and practically speaking, the funds can be used more effectively.

I will eventually replace it with another wood snare but I think maple and a 14" diameter will be the main specs. Other than that it could be 6, 6.5 or 5.5 in depth. I'm thinking DW Craviotto solid shell but it could be something else.

Bottom line is if your blessed enough to have different snares, cymbals or drums your gear can't just take up space. You have to use it.

Jim

Florian

Gold Member
Perhaps, but if I didn't have that deep cheap Rockstar, I might be thinking a deep Supraphonic. I think growing up in my era of 5x14 snares has given way to that Benny Greb sound. Snarey but throaty, not just this crack I grew up with.
I have the Greb snare....it is DYNOMITE! Of all my snares (Brady/Crav/Unix) I play my Greb at all my gigs. It is a fantastic snare.

F

soren-k

I have the Greb snare....it is DYNOMITE! Of all my snares (Brady/Crav/Unix) I play my Greb at all my gigs. It is a fantastic snare.F
Does it sound like it does in the promo video? If that's not just engineering wizardry, then that snare is AMAZING. I've never had the opportunity to hear it in person.

Florian

Gold Member
Does it sound like it does in the promo video? If that's not just engineering wizardry, then that snare is AMAZING. I've never had the opportunity to hear it in person.
Sounds just like the vid, and it has such a wide tuning range its nearly a perfect snare.
FULL DISCLOSURE: Im a Sonor fan boy.....

F

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Brave move Bo. Wow.

I've tried the 5's a few times, but I can't do it. Just a more satisfying sound and feel on a 6.5 for me.
I have a very nice World Max 5x14 Brass, and my Acro. They sound great if I'm just playing them alone, but, with the kit, neither really "do it for me" at all, so I just stick to a 6.5.

I haven't used those 2 5's live in ages, but I wouldn't sell them. I've had the Acro since I started in 1975, and I got the WM in trade with shop for graphics I do, so it wasn't an out of pocket. They are nice drums, but it never enters my mind to buy a 5.
It's another of my "I like how they sound when other people play them" things I guess :)

The Craviotto 5.5 AK Diamond snare is one I WOULD get and play though!!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I have the Greb snare....it is DYNOMITE! Of all my snares (Brady/Crav/Unix) I play my Greb at all my gigs. It is a fantastic snare.

F
I had thought of getting one of those, but I'm so diggin' the sound of the 6.5x13 snares that I now have two of them, one metal and the other maple, and they both sound great. I know what Benny was talking about when he said he wanted some compromise between a 6.5 and a 5, but I really like the 6.5 one the snares I have. I've never experienced "body" in my snares until now - perhaps this is what happens when you emulate Buddy Rich all your life, and find Stewart Copeland and Bill Bruford in the process.