After a long search...

Square

Really my search only lasted a few weeks. Thanks to Dana at Bentley's Drums in Fresno.

I went there today to have a look at a WMP 65 Slingerland kit I saw on their website. I wasn't planning on buying but just wanted to have a look.

Well Dana took the time to show me several other similar kits and talk about all things Slingerland.

When I saw these, they just started calling my name. Then, they followed me home.

1964 matched set, 20x14, 12x8, 14x14. All original even down to the bass drum reso.

The only unexpected flaw is the front bass drum hoop is a bit out of round in a small section. Shells all appear nice and round. Wrap is tight and color is consistent. Very minimal pitting in a few spots. All COB hoops.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Bozozoid

Square!..its a Slingerland! kit. If it were mine I'd take a 6 pack of lagunitas in the basement and take every bolt..nut..washer and hoop off..get my lemon pledge out..do the not pick thing...put it all back together and stare at it while periodically touching each lemon scented drum. That kit is the bomb. That's more than a drumset square..its a SLINGERLAND!.

opentune

Platinum Member
Damn nice and a 14 inch Slingerland floor tom is hard to find. Perfect size kit.
That badge represents very good years at Slingerland,.... and the silver sparkle makes them twice as loud.

Square

Square!..its a Slingerland! kit. If it were mine I'd take a 6 pack of lagunitas in the basement and take every bolt..nut..washer and hoop off..get my lemon pledge out..do the not pick thing...put it all back together and stare at it while periodically touching each lemon scented drum. That kit is the bomb. That's more than a drumset square..its a SLINGERLAND!.

I actually intend to read up on proven cleaning/detailing methods and do exactly that. I have to work all week so wont have much time to do anything but stare at them until the weekend.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Dana is great! I've wandered in to his shop more than a few times, and almost every time left with gear of some sort. On one visit, I came home with a Ludwig Power factory kit - in cases - complete with original hardware in original boxes!

jbskit4sm.jpg

Square

Dana is great!
I would agree. As a neophyte drummer Dana always makes me feel as important as any other long time customer. And yeah, he always has the neatest toys...

mikyok

Platinum Member
That slingy is stunning, you don't see em that often here in Blighty.

Only ever owned one slingerland snare which I wish I'd have kept

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Dana is great! I've wandered in to his shop more than a few times, and almost every time left with gear of some sort. On one visit, I came home with a Ludwig Power factory kit - in cases - complete with original hardware in original boxes!

View attachment 104101
@Square: SCORE on the Slingy!! Such a beaut! It has Big Band written all over it. ❤️

Bermuda: This is unreal! Nothing says love like a well maintained (and protected) kit. 🤘

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
ermuda: This is unreal! Nothing says love like a well maintained (and protected) kit.

The kit is immaculate. Original heads all around (silver dots) except the snare batter. There is one ding on one of the toms. ONE. And it's tiny, I'm not sure I could find it again. The snare is stupid mint:

79supra.jpg

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
The kit is immaculate. Original heads all around (silver dots) except the snare batter. There is one ding on one of the toms. ONE. And it's tiny, I'm not sure I could find it again. The snare is stupid mint:

View attachment 104142
Wow. Congrats on that find! ❤️
That would be in the house 24/7 and I'd beat it like it owes me money! 🤘

Ransan

Really my search only lasted a few weeks. Thanks to Dana at Bentley's Drums in Fresno.

I went there today to have a look at a WMP 65 Slingerland kit I saw on their website. I wasn't planning on buying but just wanted to have a look.

Well Dana took the time to show me several other similar kits and talk about all things Slingerland.

When I saw these, they just started calling my name. Then, they followed me home.

1964 matched set, 20x14, 12x8, 14x14. All original even down to the bass drum reso.

The only unexpected flaw is the front bass drum hoop is a bit out of round in a small section. Shells all appear nice and round. Wrap is tight and color is consistent. Very minimal pitting in a few spots. All COB hoops.
Beautiful kit!

Bentleys is definitely a drum stop haven.

My wife and daughter being from Fresno. I got my first taste of Bentleys back in ‘03

I saw a 6 piece DW timeless timber for $10k I drooled over. I sometimes still mention when I talk with Dana.

Do you plan on detailing and eventually settling the bass issue?
I had alot of fun taking my Rogers kit apart for detailing, I found out some additional issues that need attention before I could play. They probably wouIdn’t have been so much exposed that would have lead to gradual breakdown if I’d have just plugged and played so to speak.

incrementalg

Gold Member

View attachment 104101
Ooh...those make me think of Roger Taylor. I never saw Queen, but love the sound of his concert tom ludwigs in the concert footage ive watched and heard.

Square

Beautiful kit!

Bentleys is definitely a drum stop haven.

My wife and daughter being from Fresno. I got my first taste of Bentleys back in ‘03

I saw a 6 piece DW timeless timber for $10k I drooled over. I sometimes still mention when I talk with Dana.

Do you plan on detailing and eventually settling the bass issue?
I had alot of fun taking my Rogers kit apart for detailing, I found out some additional issues that need attention before I could play. They probably wouIdn’t have been so much exposed that would have lead to gradual breakdown if I’d have just plugged and played so to speak.

I had seen some of your post which made me think you had local connections.

I do plan on having a detailed look at them. I have some thoughts on how to deal with the hoop issue. I'm thinking of simply creating a caul that is the proper radius, clamping it, and allowing the hoop to sit in my garage over a few summer's weeks. The repeated heating and cooling ( I'm guessing 120f-80f ) will help the radius of the hoop reset... I hope. It only needs to move about 8mm.

I will however play them for a bit. How could you not? In the interim, I will research what exactly needs to be done to detail the kit.

Ransan

I had seen some of your post which made me think you had local connections.

I do plan on having a detailed look at them. I have some thoughts on how to deal with the hoop issue. I'm thinking of simply creating a caul that is the proper radius, clamping it, and allowing the hoop to sit in my garage over a few summer's weeks. The repeated heating and cooling ( I'm guessing 120f-80f ) will help the radius of the hoop reset... I hope. It only needs to move about 8mm.

I will however play them for a bit. How could you not? In the interim, I will research what exactly needs to be done to detail the kit.
Yessr my wife was born in Madera raised in Kerman, my daughter born in Clovis. I call them my California raisins LOL, I’m sure you’ll get that. Her family still in the area - we have plans to go this summer while our daughter is still with us and before she goes off to college in the fall.

I also would like to add that Bentleys can handle repairs well, if you decide to go that route - albeit you just purchased the kit from them.

I sent my early 70s Gretsch 4160 because it was out of round and the righty lightning throw (ala my Gumby avatar) was getting loose frequently.
In short his team did an excellent job.

Square

Yessr my wife was born in Madera raised in Kerman, my daughter born in Clovis. I call them my California raisins LOL, I’m sure you’ll get that. Her family still in the area - we have plans to go this summer while our daughter is still with us and before she goes off to college in the fall.

I also would like to add that Bentleys can handle repairs well, if you decide to go that route - albeit you just purchased the kit from them.

I sent my early 70s Gretsch 4160 because it was out of round and the righty lightning throw (ala my Gumby avatar) was getting loose frequently.
In short his team did an excellent job.

California raisins, yep I get it. Raisin capital of the world...

I have seen some of Bentley's restoration work; stunning results. Seems reasonably priced as well. I could go that route, we'll see.

If you want to escape for an hour or two, shoot me a message when you'll be in town. We can meet up at Bentley's, maybe grab a coffee and talk drums.