Advice please

moojii

Hey y'all

I'm after an electronic kit to get back into playing drums after a lay off.

Mainly for home practice/recording but would like to gig with an 80's band.

My budget is £500,

Local to me on an auction site are;

Yamaha DTX522K
Roland TD6v
Alesis Crimson Mesh

or I can order the Millenium MPS 850 from Thomann.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The DTX or TD6, given those choices :) Having said that, note the TD6 was discontinued a decade ago, the DTX is still current.
Alesis not reliable for gigging
Millennium - just no.

DTX has advantages over the TD in 3-zone snare (rim + head + crossstick), 3-zone cymbals, ability to load your own percussive samples, sound layers, dedicated app (
)...

Go and hit some pads if you can. You should do a little test-drive.

The DTX or TD6, given those choices :) Having said that, note the TD6 was discontinued a decade ago, the DTX is still current.
Millennium - just no.

DTX has advantages over the TD in 3-zone snare (rim + head + crossstick), 3-zone cymbals, ability to load your own percussive samples, sound layers, dedicated app (
)...

Thanks for your input.

I like the sizes and extra pad and crash of the Milleniuim but realise it won't be as good quality as the Yamaha, but would look more the part if gigging with it.

Electronic drums are wretched for gigging, in my experience. They'll stunt your growth in other ways too.

Are acoustic drums not an option?

"but would look more the part if gigging with it. "
Look the part? What part's that? A 1958 acoustic? ;)

As for sizes - 98% of all your hits on a drum are within a 4-6" circle. Anything more is unnecessary.

Don't get swayed by cheap kit with extra pads - you can always add more stuff to a better kit as money is available. The DTX, for example, supports up to 12 pads... up to 11 on the TD6. Pads are cheap enough on the 'eBay (Yamaha single zone ones are a tenner!)

Last edited:
Electronic drums are wretched for gigging, in my experience. They'll stunt your growth in other ways too.

I've had over 33 years of wretched experiences, then :);)

I respectfully suggest they enhance your growth and expand possibilities. Same way the acoustic guitarist discovered electrics and effect pedals, and the pianist discovered synths and sequencing.....

Millennium - just no.

)...

Why not the Millenium?

Hi hat stand, more pads, extra cymbal.

Yeah, saw that. Bit too far. There is a DTX522k i'm looking at tomorrow. With throne, bass pedal and amp. £500
Is it worth travelling for the DTX532? Just for a hi hat stand?

Up to you, really. I'll offer something controversial here...
Moving electronic hi-hats are an anachronism to appease Luddite acoustic drummers. There's no need to have a moving pad on a electric kit. Indeed, the level of foot control on a moving pad is not as good as that on a separate foot controller. This is because the "switch" in the moving hat pad has less travel than the "switch" in a foot controller[1]

As I mentioned above, as long as you buy a good reliable kit to start with, you can always add bits as you go along. Extra tom pads, for example, are a tenner on eBay. If you really want a moving hat you can always add one - all Yamaha gear is backward compatible - you can use a RHH135 moving hat on a 20-year-old DTX.

Don't worry about amps chucked in with ekits - they're generally awful. Just use cans. Live - use the house PA.

So, it depends on your budget and location, really. You could hold out for a higher model, or just grab what you can! At least go an have a play :)

ps - where are you in the country?

[1] I've got 'em all - HH65 hat controllers, RHH130 fixed hat mounted on hat stand, RHH135 moving hat on hat stand. (and Roland and Alternate Mode and Alesis ones....)

Last edited:
Up to you, really. I'll offer something controversial here...
Moving electronic hi-hats are an anachronism to appease Luddite acoustic drummers. There's no need to have a moving pad on a electric kit. Indeed, the level of foot control on a moving pad is not as good as that on a separate foot controller. This is because the "switch" in the moving hat pad has less travel than the "switch" in a foot controller[1]

As I mentioned above, as long as you buy a good reliable kit to start with, you can always add bits as you go along. Extra tom pads, for example, are a tenner on eBay. If you really want a moving hat you can always add one - all Yamaha gear is backward compatible - you can use a RHH135 moving hat on a 20-year-old DTX.

Don't worry about amps chucked in with ekits - they're generally awful. Just use cans. Live - use the house PA.

So, it depends on your budget and location, really. You could hold out for a higher model, or just grab what you can! At least go an have a play :)

ps - where are you in the country?

[1] I've got 'em all - HH65 hat controllers, RHH130 fixed hat mounted on hat stand, RHH135 moving hat on hat stand. (and Roland and Alternate Mode and Alesis ones....)

Great advice and info, I really appreciate it.

I'm near Peterborough and my budget is £500. I can't travel too far though.

See any other kits on Ebay that would be good in budget?

Looks like eBay will give you £50 discount at the mo... That's and extra pad or two ?

Change the pads for TP70's....where can I find them at a decent price?

May find some on the bay. There's a chap in Southall that sells a lot of pads (used to be on Gumtree) and there's a chap on FB (Daniel Camp) that also deals. https://www.facebook.com/groups/443259535799308/
If you're gonna invest in a number you may find it cheaper to get a DTX582 or even the super DTX7xx from the start. (seen one 7 series on the provided FB link for mid £700s...)

(e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163926507790 - all silicone pads and a moving hat for £700 or cheeky offer)

Last edited:
May find some on the bay. There's a chap in Southall that sells a lot of pads (used to be on Gumtree) and there's a chap on FB (Daniel Camp) that also deals. https://www.facebook.com/groups/443259535799308/
If you're gonna invest in a number you may find it cheaper to get a DTX582 or even the super DTX7xx from the start. (seen one 7 series on the provided FB link for mid £700s...)

(e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163926507790 - all silicone pads and a moving hat for £700 or cheeky offer)

love them mate but outside of my budget unfortunately.

are the millenniums really that bad?

Back