Advice please! PDP X7 kit - should I buy or pass?

pretty valid points there too, thanks for reminding me of that thread. hope people read that post too

why does it make no sense, you get a much better quality kit that will not have to be upgraded more. Going from PDP to another PDP is really what makes no sense, as good as budget kits go, they're still budget kits. they will never have the same functionality and sound of better kits.
I wouldn’t say that.

The Concept Classic series can measure itself easy with Collector’s series or other brand’s top series, its only build differently.

Maybe one of the few from PDP, but certainly well worth it and for a lot less.

And that comes from someone with over 12k of DW kit in the studio.

Sorry to leave you guys on a cliffhanger here! I did buy the kit. So far, my first experience with Reverb isn't going too great. It's listed for local pickup, so when I bought it 7 days ago, I messaged the seller to arrange pickup. I still haven't gotten a response. I've spoken with Reverb's support, who tried to contact the seller as well. Hopefully it's resolved soon.

Fritz, I see where you're coming from. I do agree in a sense, but I also have other hobbies vying for my budget and time, and I have to compromise somewhere. I did carefully consider everything you've brought up. However, I doubt I will regret settling for the X7 as opposed to saving for a high end kit. You may be right though, I guess time will tell.

I did buy the kit. So far, my first experience with Reverb isn't going too great. It's listed for local pickup, so when I bought it 7 days ago, I messaged the seller to arrange pickup. I still haven't gotten a response. I've spoken with Reverb's support, who tried to contact the seller as well. Hopefully it's resolved soon.
Well🤞it all works out for you.

I hate to say this, but it’s been far easier to talk a retirement home out of a bottle of suppositories than it’s ever been dealing with musicians in a purchase. The seller likely didn’t realize he actually listed his drums for sale and it wasn’t virtual reality!

All the best. At least Reverb is easy to deal with.

• Haha
Reactions: Tob
Yes and yes. And overall better attention to details. And, choices of sizes and finishes. Entry level and intermediate kits tend to limit what sizes you can get. They churn these kits out. You get 1 choice of bass drum depth ..... one choice of tom depth, etc. Even some of the lower level pro kits limit choices, but in return you get a lower price.

Better drum heads always make for a better sounding budget/beginner and intermediate priced kit. Your current kit, the Center Stage ..... those go for $500. You're not getting the regular drum heads you'd get at a shop (or on line). You're getting "UT" heads. Even the intermediate kits all come with them (can't think of one that doesn't). So ..... in case you're still using the stock heads on your kit, a head upgrade will make your current kit sound much better.

I know a guy who's playing out with a Yamaha Gigmaker (Yamaha's poplar entry level kit, similar to the Center Stage) because ..... we play what we can afford. Wood type certainly plays a part in a drums sound ..... but so does shell construction and the bearing edge.

We even have a thread here ..... "Am I the ONLY guy that likes the sound of poplar drums" https://www.drummerworld.com/forums...-that-likes-the-sound-of-poplar-drums.126317/

There are lots of guys gigging Stage Customs, and Imperialstars, and Rockstars, and Exports. They can be made to sound good.

Don't forget good cymbals. High end cymbals will elevate any drum kit.

If you can afford a $1500 drum kit ..... you'll be able to get a better kit. But if all you have is $500, those PDP's are plenty fine. If you outgrow them in 2 years, you've spent less than $21 a month playing them. Sell them, get some of your money back. Or keep 'em as a back up kit.
My Imperialstar sounds awesome. Poplar but Remo heads.

Well, this discussion is now moot. The seller never responded, and Reverb has stepped in and manually refunded the order. I guess I am now back in the market for drums. Hopefully I'll have better luck moving forward! Thanks again for your input. I'm glad to have found a level-headed, active forum for drums. See ya around!

Well, this discussion is now moot. The seller never responded, and Reverb has stepped in and manually refunded the order. I guess I am now back in the market for drums. Hopefully I'll have better luck moving forward! Thanks again for your input. I'm glad to have found a level-headed, active forum for drums. See ya around!
Dang ...... that's a drag. But there's no shortage of used drums out there. Keep looking and you'll find a kit.

Reactions: Tob
We had that exact same kit as a practice kit several years ago, and I could just never jive with it. Even with brand new upgraded heads I couldn't get a sound I liked out of them for some reason.
I'll continue to beat this drum for as long as I can - for $500 you can often find a Taye StudioMaple or StudioBirch kit that will excel in whatever situation you need it to. (Recording, performing, touring, etc)

Back