Advice on Remote Hi Hat Set Up

Brandtwi

I am thinking about getting a remote hi hat set up and I'm wondering what is the difference between the DW 9502 LB remote @ $429 and the TAMA 905RH iron cobra remote @ $450 ? The DW has a drop clutch to let the hi hat cymbals fall together which is helpful during double bass drum pedal action. That is about all I know. I know there is a Pearl model for a lot less but I'm not historically a Pearl fan. Does anyone have any knowledge about remote hi hat stands that they can share w me which could possibly help me decide which one to get??? Thanks in advance....Bill

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I've played them all and the best, by a long way is the ACD Unlimited remote hi hat. It's is MUCH smoother and more playable than the ones you are looking at.

The remote hi hat is at the bottom of the page.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I've played them all and the best, by a long way is the ACD Unlimited remote hi hat. It's is MUCH smoother and more playable than the ones you are looking at.
These are by far THE best, brilliantly engineered hardware I've seen in my 30+ years of playing. Be ready to pay for that MIT level of design though, but as far as portability & ease of use, they're the bees knees and the last hat & pedal you'll have to buy.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Are you planning to put it on the opposite side of your kit? Or are you going for a center hat placement? If you're going center .... I'd suggest looking into the DW 9550.

Attachments

Brandtwi

I checked out the Darwin Hi Hat by ACD Unlimited and it looks like a great product, but it is about $600 (which is a fair, even good, price for a custom hand built product). But now I have to decide if I can afford to buy it at this time. The other brands are offering 48 month financing at 0% interest and I can handle it on those terms. Thanks for turning me on to a great option.

K Chez

I have that Pearl remote H/H and it's awesome and way less expensive ($250.00) than the Tama or DW.

mday

I've been playing for 10 years now, since I retired. I always found playing the HH in the standard position awkward. Either the pedal was right or the cymbals, not both. Maybe it's just me & loss of flexibility? Having looked at remote setups I found a little used TAMA 905RH iron cobra remote going cheap. Love it to bits, set up under my ride & just over the floor tom.

Comes with it's own kit bag & uses a custom Jagwire cable from the mountain bike world, which Darwin also uses & I suspect others do as well.

Scottie15

Bumping this thread. I am considering a cable hat setup since I'm a left-handed drummer that grew up playing a right-handed kit. A standard hi hate works for most things, however, if I'm doing any 8th note or 16th note patterns on the hi hat, I always hit the snare with my left hand. Hitting it with my right hand feels unnatural. As such, you can imagine how uncomfortable leading with my left hand might be. I'm hoping if I can move the hats up a bit next to the 10" mounted tom, I'm thinking I get much more flexibility. See the image below for a setup I'm looking at.

1579197591207.png