Advice on finding new musicians, bands, opportunities, ect?

(Future)DWdrummer

So the band I've been playing with since last May broke up several days ago...

Personality differences, stylistic differences and just an inability to get along tore us apart in the last few weeks..

Anyways, bottom line is- I'm band less at the moment.

Though not necessarily a bad thing, I would like to start working with other musicians/a band as soon as possible.

Anyone have any advice on how to join up or connect with a new band?

I joined my last band through a connection I had made with a local teen guitarist...

I'm sure if I waited patiently enough, an opportunity will present itself buut i really wanna start playing out again ASAP..

I've browsed Craigslist but am not sure if this is a valid way of connecting?

I'm open to any suggestions, comments, pieces of advice, or band-joining experiences any of you woul have to offer.

Jacob G.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Not sure where you live, but in my area the local music stores all have a bulletin board that are covered with drummer/bassist/guitarist wanted ads. This was the route that worked for me when I was band searching.

(Future)DWdrummer

By the way I'm open to playing with guys of any age- from 16 (my age) up.

Amateur bands (with guys my age) are relatively easy to find or create around here... I'm more looking to play with guys a bit older and more professional... I have connections to the local teen scene, but I wanna branch out into the older, more professional bands around here (LA)...

I'm just not completely sure how to do this, considering my lack of connections to this older scene...

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
There are some topics about this, I'll throw in my 2¢ as usual...

Try going to local jams. It's an ideal, low-pressure, casual networking opportunity that lets other players hear you play. As such, treat a jam like an audition. It's not your big chance to cut loose with stuff you normally get to play with other bands. People are listening to what you play, and making mental notes. If yo8u get asked for your contact info, that's a good sign. If nothing else, it's a regular opportunity to play with others. Eventually someone will ask for your info, and that often leads to paying gigs.

I've been going to my local jam for about 16 years, and have met some great people, great players, and have done a lot of gigs with them. In turn, I've met other players, and gigged with them.

Of course it depends where you live, there may not be an open jam nearby. In that case, put "drummer available" notices at music stores, rehearsal halls, put a classified ad in the local scene paper, etc. In these same places, be sure to look for "drummer wanted" ads.

Good luck!

Bermuda

alparrott

Platinum Member
One thing in particular is going to keep you out of that "older" scene for at least five years. To play in bars, you have to be of age. But other than that, there are places musicians of all ages hang out (aka music stores), and that's where to be, and/or leave your cards for them to find.

bermuda

Staff member
By the way I'm open to playing with guys of any age- from 16 (my age) up.
Ah... being 16 may be a barrier to attending jams, which are usually held in bars.

... but I wanna branch out into the older, more professional bands around here (LA)...
Are you in Louisiana, or L.A.?

There are a ZILLION bands in L.A., but only a TRILLION drummers... you'll find something if you look for it!

Louisiana, I'm not so sure. Maybe 100 bands, and 83 drummers? :)

Bermuda

Southpaw99

I've wanted to go to a jam for years, but I'm left handed and never wanted to attempt to turn a house kit around. Seems like a great way to meet other musicians though.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Yeah, just craigslist. Play with anyone you can, and get in a few projects. Maybe make some demos so that people know what you're like before you meet them.

adamosmianski

Like Monk said, "...just be 'on the scene.'"

Whatever type of music you're into, just get out there and see a LOT of it. Sites like Craigslist are fine, but even now in the "social media" days there's no substitute for getting out there and showing your face.

Just be cool. Shake hands, and chat. And remember, it takes time, so be persistent, but patient.

bermuda

Staff member
Adam's right, gigging is not an online sport, it's humans in one place making music, and being out there in person is an important part of connecting with the music community. It will be a challenge finding older, more experienced players to work with, as many will be gigging in bars and clubs. But it's not impossible, just set realistic goals.

As for advertising, that must be done effectively as well. When putting up "drummer available" notices, target those places where someone who might hire you would see them, such as in guitar shops. Sadly, the only drum shop left here is Pro, no need to put a notice there anyway, drummers generally aren't looking for drummers.

I haven't used Craigslist, I really can't say if there are any opportunities there. But I can tell you that I don't know any working players who seek other players there. Just sayin'.

But try it all, leave no stone unturned. And don't just sit back and wait for calls, take #s of people looking for drummers and call them.

Bermuda

Magenta

Platinum Member
My band was formed after I made contact with a bass player I "met" on a Find Local Musicians page on Facebook.

I've wanted to go to a jam for years, but I'm left handed and never wanted to attempt to turn a house kit around. Seems like a great way to meet other musicians though.
In my VERY limited experience, being a lefty is far less of a disadvantage than not being a Classic Rock drummer :/

bizz

Adam's right, gigging is not an online sport, And don't just sit back and wait for calls, take #s of people looking for drummers and call them.

Bermuda
Amen! In my area I got my name out fairly quick by doing just this. Even if I was playing with a band that was keeping me busy. If I saw that band with what I like to call "made guys" was looking. I would call and take an audition with them. Even if you don't get the gig you can still make an impression.

I'm still reaping the benefits of an audition I went to ten years ago. Even though I didn't get the job, it started a chain reaction of contacts that lead to a lot of different gigs. Be patient, it takes years not months to build that Rolodex.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
So the band I've been playing with since last May broke up several days ago...

Personality differences, stylistic differences and just an inability to get along tore us apart in the last few weeks..

Anyways, bottom line is- I'm band less at the moment.

Though not necessarily a bad thing, I would like to start working with other musicians/a band as soon as possible.

Anyone have any advice on how to join up or connect with a new band?

I joined my last band through a connection I had made with a local teen guitarist...

I'm sure if I waited patiently enough, an opportunity will present itself buut i really wanna start playing out again ASAP..

I've browsed Craigslist but am not sure if this is a valid way of connecting?

I'm open to any suggestions, comments, pieces of advice, or band-joining experiences any of you woul have to offer.

Jacob G.
Instead of just browsing Craigslist, put in an ad offering your services and don't forget to mention that you are semi-pro (if it's true). That's what I did and it has worked out better than me answering an ad, and I'm in your same area. I went to a Cubensis show in Long Beach a couple Fridays ago and met about 20 musicians while I was there. Could have got something going with a bass player I met, but I don't want to be in 3 bands just yet.

Starship Krupa

Great suggestions from everyone else on the music stuff.

Re: ECT, you pretty much need to be under the care of a psychiatrist for that to happen. It can work wonders with severe bipolar, but usually they'll want to try lithium or lamotrigine or some other mood stabilizer before going there. It's not considered a first line treatment.

Good news is that in the 50 years or so since Kesey wrote One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, there have been many advances in how electroconvulsive therapy is administered, for instance augmentative sedatives to reduce the physical impact, better targeting of brain areas, etc.

(Future)DWdrummer

Thanks for all the advice guys! Everything said about just connecting and being friendly is a big encouragement for me to do that more... I tend to shy away from introducing myself, being social, and making myself known to other musicians while at gigs, shows, NAMM ect... Everything said here about just being there to talk, shake hands, and connect is a big encouragement to me to work harder at that.. So thank you all :D

Jacob G