Advice on a Ludwig Rock Concert

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hi guys,
I have an opportunity on a early 80's Ludwig Snare. It's a Ludwig Rock Concert. It's chrome over wood, presumably things need to be restored. But it looks like a fair price.
Problem is, I don't know a thing about this snare drum and never own any Lud stuff - only Ludwig I played was a crappy 90's Rocker.
How good is it, this Rock concert snare ? It looks like a classic maple with chrome wrap ? There's no picture of the badge, I guess it's a blue / olive one.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Ransan

Looks like the Pearl Gripper models, does that have 10 lugs?
The Ludwig Rock Concert snares are supposed to project yet have the sensitivity of concert snares. Not sure if maple or some other type of blend.
I wonder if these are the ones that are called Ludwig Coliseums though the rock concerts don’t have the slots.
Go for it!

J-W

It's a 403. A Rock Concert in chrome over maple.

I have a Coliseum (484) that isn't slotted so it's essentially the same drum (6 ply maple 14x8) but with 12 lugs instead of 10. Mine has die cast hoops, and is currently sporting a coated PS3 so it's as dry as a popcorn fart, but it sounds and records great. I tend to tune it on the higher side, but it takes all ranges of tuning very well. It was my go-to snare on tour but now I tend to favor my 411 over it due to the room I'm in, but it still gets time on the stand. I'll never part with it.

Since tastes vary, I can't say if it's for you or not, but it's everything a deep maple snare should be.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Ok thank you very much, so it's basically a 6 ply maple, 10 lugs snare with a wrap, there should be an internal muffler, shouldn't it ?
Anyway it can't be a bad snare drum, 300€ seems on the expensive side though.

Last edited:

J-W

Ok thank you very much, so it's basically a 6 ply maple, 10 lugs snare with a wrap, there should be an internal muffler, shouldn't it ?

That pretty much sums it up.
If it has the B/O badge, then yes it should have the muffler. I believe it wasn't until the mid 80's (keystone) that they did away with the tone control.
My B/O badge Coliseum has one, but I never use it.

Another thought: That P-85 strainer has some known issues with hanging up. I've never had problems with mine whatsoever and it's taken some abuse on the road, but YMMV.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Ludwig didn't drop the tone control until the early-mid 90s, so it is entirely possible you might see a tone control and a Monroe Keystone badge.

The black and silver sticker on the throw off points to a 70s/80 drum.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hello guys I finally got more pictures. The badge is Monroe, not blue/ olive. And the muffler seems complete.

J-W

Ludwig didn't drop the tone control until the early-mid 90s, so it is entirely possible you might see a tone control and a Monroe Keystone badge.

The black and silver sticker on the throw off points to a 70s/80 drum.

Ah! I couldn't remember which decade they dropped the tone control. I never cared for them, nor used them on any of my snares.
My apologies to the OP for misinformation and thank you Winston_Wolf for your correction.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Ah! I couldn't remember which decade they dropped the tone control. I never cared for them, nor used them on any of my snares.
My apologies to the OP for misinformation and thank you Winston_Wolf for your correction.

No worries! Ludwig is pretty notorious for changes coming somewhat randomly and inconsistently. Pinning down any of their changes is really hard because they seemed to build with whatever they felt like on a particular day.

Reactions: J-W

Tamaefx

Silver Member
It has a Keystone badge. Does it add anything ? I was sure it would have blue/ olive.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Here is the badge. What period should it be ? The seller says 1980.

Attachments

• 43C208BB-A3B9-4119-9207-395FB768EAC5.jpeg
    43C208BB-A3B9-4119-9207-395FB768EAC5.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 6

harryconway

Platinum Member
Here is the badge. What period should it be ? The seller says 1980.
1985 was the move of all production to Monroe, '79 was the end of the B/O badge (I think), so 1980-1985 would be the period of that snare.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Chicago Keystone badge puts it around '84-85. That badge was used for a very narrow time frame during the switch from Chicago to Monroe. A 1980 drum would have a blue/olive badge.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hello, I finally pulled the trigger on this snare. My first Ludwig.
I started checking everything and took appart the hardware to leave the shell naked. This thing is heavy. The shell is thick and there is a sheet of chrome over it. The wood is nice, strangely I don’t see any snare bed.
The condition : it’s complete : snare, throw off, muffler, everything is here. But it’s rusty. The batter hoop has to be changed. All the screws inside are rusty and have left marks on the shell. I think I can’t have it back.

IBitePrettyHard

Hello, I finally pulled the trigger on this snare. My first Ludwig.
I started checking everything and took appart the hardware to leave the shell naked. This thing is heavy. The shell is thick and there is a sheet of chrome over it. The wood is nice, strangely I don’t see any snare bed.
The condition : it’s complete : snare, throw off, muffler, everything is here. But it’s rusty. The batter hoop has to be changed. All the screws inside are rusty and have left marks on the shell. I think I can’t have it back.
Take some pictures! We can help you sort out how to restore all of it.

I was gonna say 300 euros seems a little steep, but since you're from France it makes more sense, haha.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Ludies are over priced down here. I got it for 250. I’ve got some work on it. I’ll send pictures.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Here are the pictures. Sorry for the dullness of them. I found that the shell itself was heavy, even without the hardware. My Signia is heavy but the shells are pretty light (thin Shells with rering).
So the snare is complete, rusty screws. I will certainly change the batter hoop for a 2,3mm Gibraltar or some other brand. How could I remove or tone down the stains left on the shell by the screw ?
Thanks for all guys.

IBitePrettyHard

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the dullness of them. I found that the shell itself was heavy, even without the hardware. My Signia is heavy but the shells are pretty light (thin Shells with rering).
So the snare is complete, rusty screws. I will certainly change the batter hoop for a 2,3mm Gibraltar or some other brand. How could I remove or tone down the stains left on the shell by the screw ?
Thanks for all guys.
Hmm, those marks could be moisture damage? You can probably leave the marks as-is, you won't be seeing it anyway. Maybe try a wet rag with some Dawn dish detergent to see if that helps.

Get some polish like Brasso for the chrome wrap and shine that baby up. The lugs look to be in great shape!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Yes, apart from the batter hoop, the exterior is in great shape ! It doesn't look mint but nothing a polish rubbing won't repair. The tone control and throw off are working nicely.
The inside of the shell : screws, tone control,.. have suffered from moister / rust.

Last edited: