Advice for finding the right kit.-HELP

FUNKMOCHINE

Hello,

I am looking to buy a new shell pack and was hoping to gather some guidance from all you saavy gear heads. I play Funk and Fusion and really like articulate warm sounding drums that have PUNCH!. Ive done a good bit of research over the last 6 months (I am a tone Nazi) and have come to the conclusion that I definitely want a 24x14 bass drum. I want that dry punch from a bass drum but with a short decay. You know, that thump that hits you right in the chest, but not the LOOOONG booming tone commonplace with some of the larger deeper drums. I am currently playing a 22x18Birch and a 20x16Birch-Both sound very good but I am missing the true depth of the bass tone and the quicker frequency response. I am a little concerned about "some" manufacturers of the 24x14 because I've noticed more of a tympanic bleed tone coming from some of the larger diameters...Yes I know this could be corrected in tuning and muffling techniques but I would like a drum that sounds great "Acoustically" and tunes easy. As you all know not all drums are created equal. Some seem to have less desirable overtones and too much bleed. As part of my perfect kit building adventure, I recently purchased a DW Super Solid Snare3/8 and it is an insanely incredibly tone-for my ears at least, its everything I've looked for in the past 30 years of buying dozens of snares. Now, I just need to marry it up with a comparable bass drum. Let me state that tone is very subjective, everyone hears things slightly different, with that said I am not married to Birch. I am currently looking at the DW Performance 24x14BD, Pearl Sessions Studio Select24x14BD, Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch (with the 22x12BD),and maybe an SONOR SQ-1 but I would like to keep my budget below $2K if possible and I am totally welcome your suggestions. My playing style is focused but not super hard hitting, I have a heavy foot and bury my beater 90% of the time. Mostly playing HH/Kick and Snare. I really like to lay into my drums when I play them. I am in no way comparing myself to the following players listed but wanted to give you all an idea of drummers I characterize my playing style after-Dennis Chambers, Carter Beauford, Tim Alexander, Bernard Purdie, Alan Evans, Adam Dietch. I play original music comparable to Lettuce, James Brown, Fearless Flyers, Greyboy Allstars, New Mastersounds, Kung Fu-ETC. I need a speacial bass drum that is complimentary of these players and the funk groove genre. Thank you all in adavance for your kind responses and guidance on this quest not looking for a tone debate just some good guidance based on your personal experience. Thank you and Cheers!

IBitePrettyHard

When I think funk, I don't think of a 24" bass drum. There's probably exceptions, but I think most funk drummers use 20" and 22", and even 18" bass drums.

24" bass drums in general have a "bigger" note and are less likely to be punchy and dry (compared to 20/22, all else being equal.) You can get a punchy sound with a 24", but it's probably easier with a 20 or 22.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Have you actually played a 24” kick, rather like a piccolo snare drums these sound great at one running but cant be taken out of a narrow natural range without sounding and feeling odd. I play funk and find a higher tuned 22 slightly muffled kick works best but this is subjective. I agree 14l “ depth is the way to go.

wildbill

Platinum Member
.... I am currently playing a 22x18Birch and a 20x16Birch-Both sound very good but I am missing the true depth of the bass tone and the quicker frequency response.....
Your post is difficult to read when it's all jammed up. Paragraphs are your friend there.

Anyways - a shallower depth will give you a quicker response (punch), and a larger diameter will give you a deeper (lower) tone.
Dry might mean some muffling depending on your definition. Shallower depths won't 'ring' as much, if that's what you're after.

There are trade-offs, but for funk, I'd go with a 20.
A 22 cranked up might work too, but either one should be a shallower depth.

Ghostin one

Thirty years ago, I tried out for a spot on a mini-tour of Alaska with the The Chambers Brothers.

The bass player stuffed my bass drum full of blankets before we even started playing. "That's how we do it." Well, okay then. Right on.