Advice for a SICK DRUMMER!!

Snoodleking

So I came down with flu-like symptoms a few days ago and I've got a show tonight.

I play in two bands around town, one of which I could play with the straight up swine flu and be just fine (as my friend commented). Unfortunately tonight I'm playing with the more aggressive of the two (think At The Drive-In, Bear vs Shark).

Not playing isn't an option, so I was wondering... does anyone have any nifty tips for me? It's very important for me to have good energy on stage. I've been drinking plenty of water, consuming a lot of OJ, and sleeping a LOT, but I'm afraid I still don't feel even near 100%.

What do you more experienced players think?

Thanks!

Have you told the rest of the band that you are sick? Is it possible that they could step up and allow you to be a little less aggressive? I would do the same thing if I knew a guy on keys or guitar in my band was not feeling well. Is it possible to tweak the song set to switch out one or two songs that require you to be over the top on drums?

I realize you can't change the feel of the band, but there is nothing you can do about being sick like this. It wasn't like you partied the night before and now you are hungover and can't perform well. Everyone gets sick from time to time and has been through this.

My biggest concern in getting sick is how it affects my voice, since I sing about 4-5 leads and back most of the other songs. It's hard to hit any high notes when you have a bad cold or flu. Do you have to sing at all?

How long are your sets and how many do you have? I would think for the first set you'll be fine as the adrenalin kicks in, but the concern could be the last set as your energy starts to dwindle. I have never taken the 5-hour energy drink but I know people that swear by it. sounds like you are doing everything else you can to fight the flu. Maybe some chicken soup?

oh man! that sucks! i've been pretty lucky about being sick lately, but the show must go on!

i recently lined up a friend to serve as a backup in case i can't make a gig for some reason. he's probably a better drummer than me anyway! i got his entire band to substitute for us last week when my dad died and that worked out well, but he's willing to sub for just me if necessary. likewise i would sub for him in his band if it comes to that.

oh man! that sucks! i've been pretty lucky about being sick lately, but the show must go on!

i recently lined up a friend to serve as a backup in case i can't make a gig for some reason. he's probably a better drummer than me anyway! i got his entire band to substitute for us last week when my dad died and that worked out well, but he's willing to sub for just me if necessary. likewise i would sub for him in his band if it comes to that.

So sorry to hear about your dad.....

1) Antihistamines to keep your symptoms down

2) Advil/Tylenol to keep potential fever/bodyaches at bay

3) Lots of rest before the gig

4) Energy drinks, fruits, juices just before you play to ramp up blood glucose to raise energy levels

.... last week when my dad died

Sorry to hear that, dairyman. Tough loss and tougher if he was a trigger to your love of music. My condolences.

An old remedy that i tried before a show once (wasnt feeling like throwing up, just a bad headache, stuffy nose sore throat and the "aches and pains" fever feeling) that i was told to give a try was a big spoon of buckleys and a shot of whiskey lol.

It doesnt last all night, but for an hour set it worked like a charm. It just unplugged my nose, coated my throat and let me finish a set. Thought it might have been a placebo effect.

Drink lotsa water between songs, chicken soup right now, cool towels if you're feverish, aspirin or equivalent, and just plow through it like the trooper that you are. Forget caffeine, sugar, alcohol, energy drinks. Give your body real fuel like a banana or any unprocessed food. Take a multivitamin, fish oil. Don't smoke anything

In addition to all the above recommendations, a good dose of hot red pepper in a soup can help jumpstart a sluggish metabolism. i usually eat a big bowl of spicy Korean soup when I'm sick and need to get it over now. And if you have some time, try to rest, so your body has a fighting chance.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

I just woke up from a nap and had a bowl of chicken soup! I stocked up on bananas and even bought a 5 hour energy drink at the store (though I'm still on the fence about drinking it).

I think I'm going to indulge in the ONE shot of whiskey right before going on, and hope that the adrenaline pulls me through! Luckily I am only playing one set!

Once again thanks for all the suggestions!

sounds like your ready...I have took the 5 hour with me to a gig and waited till betwwen the last 2 sets when bannanas power bars and gatorade was just not enough... made it a little tougher to sleep afterwards being it was after mid-night but hey it did the trick

sounds like your ready...I have took the 5 hour with me to a gig and waited till betwwen the last 2 sets when bannanas power bars and gatorade was just not enough... made it a little tougher to sleep afterwards being it was after mid-night but hey it did the trick

One is fine, but too many gets you into trouble. I remember when those first came out, all of us welders bought 5-6 each and one of the big monster cans. The challenge wa to take 5 of the 5 hour enery drinks then shotgun the big monster. I thought i was going to die lol. If i stopped moving i thought my heart was gonna blow up, but that was us being stupid haha.

I find the trick to them is to wait until youre almost dead tired, the flavour of them intantly wakes you up and kick starts the whole reaction :)

Back