Advice for a kit

Savage

So, I used to play alot back in the 90s, then life happened. Now I'm looking to get back into it and would like to get myself a decent kit.

I know everyone says buy used. But I don't really know what things are worth so it's kind of hard to evaluate a deal. Case in point, guy near me has a Sonor 3005 5 piece shell pack for $475. Or a Tama Starclassic EFX Performer 5 piece shell pack for $750. I don't know if those are fair, great deals, or overpriced. I'm not too concerned about cymbals or head because I'm going too be replacing them with the Remo silentstrokes an Zildjian low volume cymbals.

So I've been looking at new kits. I can get a Pearl Decade Maple new for under $500 shipped. The other one I'm looking at is the Yamaha Stage Custom for $650.

I'm kind of torn between just getting something to start with right now and buy a nice set next Christmas if I do stick with it, or just getting something better from the start.

Any advice?

There are lots of good brands of drum kits. You know drums, you used to play drums. Just go with your best judgment and don't worry about it.

Get the Starclassic ! Perfect quality and value and nice and strong hardware. Even if it's only for Remo SS, once you'll want to take the kit out, you'll be happy with a Starclassic. Is there any stands / hardware with it ?

Hi Savage and welcome to DW. If you can get the Sonor down to or below $450 that woud be a good deal with out looking at them. The other would be the Yamaha Stage Custom for $650. Both are well built. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips.

I thought about just getting whatever shells for the Remos, but I will want to put real heads on and play as well.

Whoa, that same retailer is also selling birch Pearl MASTERS kits for $866 shipped. Crazy good deal, if you like the finish. Here's a VIDEO DEMO

And Pearl Session Studio Classic kits for $800...also a fantastic deal.

EDIT: Scratch that, get the Session Studio Classic for $700 here!

They're on sale because they were discontinued. They still sound great.

Last edited:
Tama. Best, most imitated hardware in the biz. And when you decide to put normal heads on, you’ll love the sound.

I really like those Session Studio Classic drums, or the masters set. I don't mind the color. However, I have a few questions.

1. How would I mount the toms?
2. What snare would go with it?
3. What are the differnces between the two kits (SSC vs Masters BCX)?

But the decade maples for $465 keep coming back. Thats the asking price of used export kits on Craigslist here.

I know I'm overthinking this, but that's what I do. ;)

I bought the 13/16/24 Pearl Decade-I like the kit for what it is. However I note they aren't holding their value-as already lots of Pearl Decades on the resale market. That surprises me-maple,thin shells, low mass hardware. I think the 6 lug 16 in tom was a killer but not sure why people don't like the kits so much. The thinner shells aren't as easy to tune but lots of tone. I really like the 13 in tom and bass drum though. I just want to try something else so looking at a Gretsch. The SSC and BCX are both a "SIGNIFICANT" step above the Decades.

So, I used to play alot back in the 90s, then life happened. Now I'm looking to get back into it and would like to get myself a decent kit.

I know everyone says buy used. But I don't really know what things are worth so it's kind of hard to evaluate a deal. Case in point, guy near me has a Sonor 3005 5 piece shell pack for $475. Or a Tama Starclassic EFX Performer 5 piece shell pack for $750. I don't know if those are fair, great deals, or overpriced. I'm not too concerned about cymbals or head because I'm going too be replacing them with the Remo silentstrokes an Zildjian low volume cymbals.

So I've been looking at new kits. I can get a Pearl Decade Maple new for under $500 shipped. The other one I'm looking at is the Yamaha Stage Custom for $650.

I'm kind of torn between just getting something to start with right now and buy a nice set next Christmas if I do stick with it, or just getting something better from the start.

Any advice?
Drums
Most modern kits come in two versions ... a version constructed for Recording purposes or an Entry level kit..... Most manufacturers don't make kits for live performance any longer. Therefore what you were used to in the 1990s is almost unavailable today...

The most versatile kit I am aware of today is the Yamaha Rydeen, I advise updating the Bass hoops however and use the TH-940A tom holder assembly (non Yess), and of course the drum heads. Its the best sounding kit for the money and with proper heads, it can be tuned to provide a sound that fits just about any venue you can think of..... The kit is coated with cheezy plastic, it doesn't effect the sound and the plastic protects the drum shells during gigging about town..... its easy enough to change later If you so desire....

Hardware & Cases
Yamaha hardware has been proven to survive the test of time gigging wise .... I would therefore suggest acquiring one of their pre-boxed sets. If you know you will be gigging around town .... get some drum cases..... Nylon cases can be acquired for under 200 bucks now days.

Cymbals
Since you last played the Cymbal market has exploded and there is a plethora of choices... in that arena ... I would head to Guitar Center (or some similar sales outlet) with drumstick in hand and play each cymbal until I settled on a sound...... Don't be surprised if your eventual choices are mixed among several manufacturers and several model lines.

Practice
One thing of interest that has changed since you were last involved is the use of mesh heads for practice.... I find these to be a much better choice than electronic drums because they provide the same feed back as acoustic drums and your muscle memory related to drum position won't be effected by switching back and forth from electronic to acoustic. Mesh heads and Mesh cymbals (aka Low volume) will allow you to play without affecting the neighbors or family members sanity.

So, new wrinkle. Local dealer has a used Mapex Meridian Birch 4pc shells (no snare) for $350 with Remo powerstroke heads. He also has a new Dixon Fuse 4 pc shell pack with Zebrawood finish for $500. But I've never heard of that brand before. And again, no snare. He also sells a brand called Odery.

I'd like to buy local if possible since I like to support the little guy. But I'm not going to rip myself off either, its a business not a charity so if the deals are trash I'll go elsewhere.

Take the Mapex. Find a snare that suits your taste. Cymbals too. Get on the ******* train. Start pounding out some rhythms.

Any advice?

My standard line to anyone looking at a first-ish kit.....

Yamaha Stage Custom
Yamaha 700 hardware
Set of Zildjian A's
A Throne that fits your posterior. Yamaha 800 Series if you have no preference.

If it's too expensive new, you can usually buy used at a bit over half cost. If drumming loses your favor, it's an easy CL resale.

So, new wrinkle. Local dealer has a used Mapex Meridian Birch 4pc shells (no snare) for $350 with Remo powerstroke heads. He also has a new Dixon Fuse 4 pc shell pack with Zebrawood finish for $500. But I've never heard of that brand before. And again, no snare. He also sells a brand called Odery.

I'd like to buy local if possible since I like to support the little guy. But I'm not going to rip myself off either, its a business not a charity so if the deals are trash I'll go elsewhere.
Don't get a Meridian Birch kit, it sounds cheap. The Pearl Decade and Yamaha Stage Custom are a step up in both sound and quality. The Stage Custom is the better of the two, but again, $465 for a Pearl Decade makes it a compelling choice.

But if you can afford it, both the Session Studio Classic and especially the Masters are professional kits, a big step up in quality. You'd be much happier with them over the long term.

Back