Advertisements Galore?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Has something changed with DW? I'm getting adds all over the place, both on my computer and mobile. I can sort of live with it on the computer if I have to, but the mobile ones are covering up most of my page, between posts, at the header, footer. You all seeing the same?

Hit the filter button in your brain to ignore it. Works for me. It's just the start scroll down to action.

The site doesn't operate for free. No different than Youtube ad before every video plays. And to make sure, Andy, Jon and I are strictly volunteers.

Hit the filter button in your brain to ignore it. Works for me. It's just the start scroll down to action.
Not as easy as one would think. See below.
The site doesn't operate for free. No different than Youtube ad before every video plays. And to make sure, Andy, Jon and I are strictly volunteers.
I have no problem with advertisements and fully get the need to do so to keep the light on, but here's what I see on my iPhone when I try to open a thread:
IMG_4680.PNG
A bit ridiculous, no? When I try to click the teeny weeny little x, I sometimes end up clicking the ad. Kinda pointless, since I get this when I succeed:
IMG_4679.png
I'm not sure if this is an iOS 13 change, but it appears 100% unusable from where I sit!

Very strange, I wasn't getting any additional ads except the typical one at the top of each page. But since this post appeared, I'm now getting ads between every several posts! Hmmmm. Like Facebook, I'm going through and clicking each to remove it and send my preferences to the push engine. It does actually help.

I don't log on, on my phone. But I don't deal with much at all (I use Microsoft Edge). Maybe some of you should adjust your settings?

I only use a phone. I have 1 ad at the top of the main page, and 1 towards the bottom. That's it, no ads anywhere else.

FWIW, my ads only reflect stuff my wife or I look at.

I sure would like to know why I'm getting different results than anyone else. It just started three days ago. I don't even get ads for things I've ever looked at. All seems random!

Very strange, I wasn't getting any additional ads except the typical one at the top of each page. But since this post appeared, I'm now getting ads between every several posts! Hmmmm. Like Facebook, I'm going through and clicking each to remove it and send my preferences to the push engine. It does actually help.
Oh, man - I hope that simply opening this thread doesn't start the ads for me. Up till now, I've had no ads.

What ads? See-well I guess you don't see it. Think about it-all your senses would overwhelm you if not for "selective filtering" where you ignore and dump a lot of information you actually receive and subconsciously recognize. You're conscious of just a small portion of the actual info all your senses receive. Your thalamus is partly responsible for regulating "consciousness" where GABA inhibitory neurons basically block other info from your attention. So you have to use "brain control" which you can only attain after you've been "mind controlled" so you just ignore it. Or Benzodiazepines agonist like Valium and Cloninden and alcohol bind to GABA receptors and alter consciousness. So maybe just have a drink or take a Valium and you'll ignore it LOL.

These are my screens on iOS 13.1.2 just now.

Attachments

• IMG_8665.PNG
    IMG_8665.PNG
    479.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8666.PNG
    IMG_8666.PNG
    439.5 KB · Views: 2
Try Settings, scroll down, Safari,scroll down, Block Pop-ups. Toggle to on.

Found it. My content blocker was disabled. Having said that, I don't see how anyone could use the site on their mobile device, given the slew of adds all over ever page. I get them on my Mac too, but they are on the top and small enough not to cover up content.

I could live with that, but in my screenshots above, I was left with only 25% of my screen. Still not sure why the difference.

Not as easy as one would think. See below.

I have no problem with advertisements and fully get the need to do so to keep the light on, but here's what I see on my iPhone when I try to open a thread:
View attachment 87765
A bit ridiculous, no? When I try to click the teeny weeny little x, I sometimes end up clicking the ad. Kinda pointless, since I get this when I succeed:
View attachment 87766
I'm not sure if this is an iOS 13 change, but it appears 100% unusable from where I sit!

Yup ! That would drive me nuts ,.... and has on other forums I’ve been on in the past. I don’t have that problem yet here ( iphone8), but on the other forums in the past to get rid of the add ,...... zoom in , make it bigger
( you know expand with two fingers) makes clicking the x button easier. Sorry can’t help more with getting rid of/blocking the ads but enlarging the screen makes clicking the x and closing the ad a breeze ??

Back