Adoro silent sticks

fess

Anyone tried these? They keep showing up on my Facebook feed. Sounds like a logical concept.. I kept trying to do a search on Adoro, but it always spell corrected to adore.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Here ya go:

They build drums too.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Here ya go:

They build drums too.
Has anyone tried these?

johnwesley

Silver Member
Interesting. I'd imagine they're a much more realistic feel than all the other methods of stifling sound. Wonder how long they last? Imagining myself using them and hitting harder just to get MORE SOUND out of them!!!!🙉

gp6000

Saw someone play a small venue with these sticks and went out and got a pair. Played them last night at practice and I was very pleased with them. Allowed me to play and hear in my practice space. I am thinking that I could play them in my acoustic band with a kit instead of the percussion I use now. I wouldn't use them for a medium or large venue.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Saw someone play a small venue with these sticks and went out and got a pair. Played them last night at practice and I was very pleased with them. Allowed me to play and hear in my practice space. I am thinking that I could play them in my acoustic band with a kit instead of the percussion I use now. I wouldn't use them for a medium or large venue.
I wonder if you can do a decent buzz roll with them...

NouveauCliche

How do they feel and sound on cymbals?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Not these exact ones but I've used the Lidwish ones which are basically the same concept. http://www.lidwishsoulutions.com/
Great for when you REALLY need to keep quiet on the drums but I've only ever used them on an e-kit where I have the option to dial the sensitivity of the pads right up if I need to (not sure how they would go with an a-kit).
I’m just wondering about buzz rolls. I’ve never seen low-volume sticks that let you play buzz rolls well.

toddmc

Gold Member
I’m just wondering about buzz rolls. I’ve never seen low-volume sticks that let you play buzz rolls well.
Obviously they're very light so I'd imagine it would make buzz rolls difficult because you don't have the same amount of rebound you get with a wooden stick. The tips are also not solid (more like a loop of plastic) which wouldn't help either...

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Obviously they're very light so I'd imagine it would make buzz rolls difficult because you don't have the same amount of rebound you get with a wooden stick. The tips are also not solid (more like a loop of plastic) which wouldn't help either...
Once again, low-volume sticks fail to outdo the good old Vic Firth Echo sticks that have been around since the 80s.

toddmc

Gold Member
Once again, low-volume sticks fail to outdo the good old Vic Firth Echo sticks that have been around since the 80s.
Had to google those but yeah, they would definitely do buzz rolls better than the low volumes but would also be louder.
Comes down to which is more important to you, decent technique or keeping the volume down?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Had to google those but yeah, they would definitely do buzz rolls better than the low volumes but would also be louder.
Comes down to which is more important to you, decent technique or keeping the volume down?
I have an orchestral background. Keeping volume down is never a problem.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Hmm...interesting.
I use the Tala Wands for acoustic shows & they work really well. These might be good for a test drive if I can find a pair.

Square

I recently bought these. Volume reduction is probably "about" 50% as advertised. They are quite light, and pretty thin. Think 7a, maybe a bit smaller, but longer, a bit, than 5b.

Singles and doubles work well. Didn't try a buzz roll, but I imagine there would be some challenges.

On cymbals they sound ok, but I wonder how durable they will be when striking with the shaft against that hard surface.

They also make beaters, I wonder about the longevity there as well. I do have to say that so far, they haven't shown signs of wear or distress.

In the end, probably good for a lower volume, smaller gig. Probably enough of a volume reduction to make your neighbors happy if that is a problem, as long as you don't live in an apartment.

The drum below is a 16" floor tom.

IMG_1503.jpgIMG_1504.jpgIMG_1505.jpgIMG_1506.jpg

Last edited:

Dire Wolf

I just received a pair. I was going to try them in my spare bedroom/drum room to see if they would lower the volume. When I play them on top of the RTOM Black Hole drum pads, they lower the volume some so I can turn the stereo down a little when playing along. However, when I try them out on my normal drum heads, I do not notice any volume reduction at all.

Spreggy

Silver Member
I've had a pair for a few months now, and given them plenty of attention on the set and the pad. But they are now getting tossed into the cabinet where old hobbies and gear go to die.
There are three things they don't do well:
  • Bounce well, they are sproingy things that are hard to control.
  • They are loud, and full volume on cymbals. The actual sound at impact is a loud, plasticy tick that doesn't feel musical.
  • They are tiny in diameter, so they are again hard to control. There is a weird vibrational shock to the hands, especially on the ring finger in trad grip.
Sorry guys who made them, there are no redeeming qualities about these weird little sticks imho. I have the "thick-x" model, that should be called the "too thin-x" model. Even as someone who plays a 7-variant jazz stick, these things are tiny, hard, and weird to play. Save your thirty shmooks. Vic Firth makes a plastic bristled root stick that does the quiet thing well, and there are no end of bamboo and wood root-style sticks for the next level up of volume .