Adjusting to a new throne

Anisa

I just made the switch from a standard stool to a nice big throne with a back rest. I started practicing with it about two weeks ago and I'm still not comfortable on it. It feels like I need to use my left leg to keep the seat facing forward.

Has anyone else had problems adjusting to a new throne?

are you leaning against the back rest while playing? I don't lean against it while playing yet between songs.

I love a back rest on my throne.

But I've noticed some models of fancier thrones make your butt sink into the seat, which I find makes feel like I need to lift my legs more than I think I should.

It feels like I need to use my left leg to keep the seat facing forward.
Hi Anisa, does your throne actually swivel, or does it just make you feel like it wants to swivel? If it actually swivels then clearly something needs to be tightened to prevent this. If it's just a feeling then that's a bit more difficult to tie down, especially as I can't see the design.

I have back problems but I don't use a back rest. I've tried a couple of thrones with a back rest and found I couldn't get used to them, although I didn't try them for very long. I also found myself trying to use the back rest simply because it was there. Try sitting on this new throne exactly as you did on your old one and see if that makes a difference.

I use a nice big, flat, round and very stable stool. Even with my back issues, I find this works best for me. I think there's a strong benefit in your body finding it's most comfortable position organically, rather than being persuaded into a position by the seat designers. I have no problems maintaining a good posture on my "plain" stool, and that's very important for me as I have a spinal tumor.

I would advise giving your new stool your best shot over the next few weeks. If, after that, you're still not happy then I would strongly consider changing back to a standard stool. If you do, buy the biggest, most stable, flat seat stool you can afford. I use the top DW one and it's superb.

Good luck, KIS.

Hey KIS,

The seat does swivel. I find that I have to tighten it a few times during practice. It's a similar model to this one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-HT741-Ergo-Rider-Throne-with-Backrest-440486-i1135458.gc

Thanks for the replies :)
Ok, I see. Nice high end throne so you should be able to rely on the tightening mechanism without needing to tighten it several times during the practice or gig. If the tightening screw won't hold it's grip, you should consider returning the throne to the dealer. It's a very unwelcome distraction to have to prevent your throne from swivelling by bracing your left leg. That's really not going to help your playing or concentration. Good luck.

KIS, you were right :) I tightened the seat and the seat is much more comfortable. I have noticed that I am bouncing more in this seat than my standard stool though.

Thanks for your help.

KIS, you were right :) I tightened the seat and the seat is much more comfortable. I have noticed that I am bouncing more in this seat than my standard stool though.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure if you like the bounce or not, but have you checked out a Roc N Soc nitro throne? It's got a little suspension to it and it's one of the most comfy thrones I've used.

i'll bet you have a roc 'n soc throne! i have one with a pneumatic suspension and it bounces a little, which takes some getting used to.

Back