Adjusting tempo

John Lamb

just to echo what has been said...

if possible, i;ll keep it steady, if theres a problem performing it them i'll change it..

at least i'll TRY to change it. My guitar player can be pretty ornery about tempo changes, especially if he counted the song off. :)

uniongoon

Gold Member
Great question, absolutely. Over the years I have had 3 or 4 bad ones, totally my fault, usually with a band I had not played with or knew the song well. Now, if it happens, and it has not in many years knock on wood, I would just stop, apologize, make the adjustment and have a do over, since I am not doing major headliner concerts, it would not destroy the cred and be talked about on TMZ the next day.
On the other hand, if the guitar player starts something and it drags, I just jump on it and fix it at the first bar.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Great question, absolutely. Over the years I have had 3 or 4 bad ones, totally my fault, usually with a band I had not played with or knew the song well. Now, if it happens, and it has not in many years knock on wood, I would just stop, apologize, make the adjustment and have a do over, since I am not doing major headliner concerts, it would not destroy the cred and be talked about on TMZ the next day.
On the other hand, if the guitar player starts something and it drags, I just jump on it and fix it at the first bar.
Agree with this, it happened once, I gave the counts off the song too fast... after 3 bars, I stopped, laughed, re-counted the tempo and off we went. That said, the song couldn't not have been played on the faster tempo.

Now, if the tempo is only slightly off, I commit.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I hate that unsettled feeling when the tempo is in limbo, there are puzzled looks and everybody is looking back at the drummer even if it isn't their fault. Then you have to decide when the speed is finally right and try and forget what just happened, and lock in. As long as I didn't cause it, I don't worry about it, but I don't like it either. Any song played too fast or slow should be commented on afterwards between the musicians to make sure everybody agrees what happened.

The person in the band who has the best sense of tempo should count the songs off, plain and simple. It is too critical of a step to take lightly.