Adding click when practicing to CDs

Triplet920

Hey All,

So I am going to be auditioning for a band soon and I need to practice some songs on CD with a click. What is the best way to do that?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Hey All,

So I am going to be auditioning for a band soon and I need to practice some songs on CD with a click. What is the best way to do that?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
I would practice music and click separately. Not only might it be tricky to pair the two together, but most modern music is done to a click anyways.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I don't understand the question. Are you talking about playing along with CD's that already have a click on them with the music, or are you trying to add a click to existing music CDs?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
If the track is modern and has perfect time (quantized and perfect) you could add a click with audacity. If not you would have to 'bpm map' the song. I've never done it but a friend said he did it with protools and I'm sure you can do it with lots of different programs.

Personally I wouldn't bother, I would use the accents in the music as the click.

mikel

Platinum Member
If you play along to a song recorded in the last few years you are in effect playing to a click.

If you need to learn to play to a click, learn the song, then set your click to the correct tempo, then play to that.

PrettyHateMachine

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there are apps out there for your mobile device that will detect the bpm of the songs in your library. I don't know how accurate they are but maybe that is something you could look into.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I think the OP is saying that the band uses a click and has given him some songs on CDs to learn.

Oh boy, is this going to be fun.

I would ask the band for the backing tracks they use with the click on them. Learn the song off the original CD and then try to practice it to the click/backing track. If you really need the song running for cues, I suppose you could try to wild sync them in Audacity or something. I have ProTools but tempo mapping is an advanced function I haven't gotten a solid hold on. If you know an advanced PT user, you could ask them to do this and add the click. But as others have said, odds are the original tracks are steady and once you line up one part, the rest will be in sync.

KamaK

Platinum Member
What is the best way to do that?
If it's quantized, just drag it into Garageband and make a click track.

If it's not, grab a cowbell and a shirt that's slightly too small for you and make one. If that fails, iterate through smaller and smaller shirts till you get what you need.

JustJames

Platinum Member
... grab a cowbell and a shirt that's slightly too small for you and make one. If that fails, iterate through smaller and smaller shirts till you get what you need.
Best advice ever!

(Silly 20 car rule doesn't know that brevity is the soul of wit. Now look what you've done...)

Macarina

Silver Member
If you play along to a song recorded in the last few years you are in effect playing to a click.

If you need to learn to play to a click, learn the song, then set your click to the correct tempo, then play to that.
Yep, this is the way to go.