Adding a tom to a Sonor Safari - what tom?

rpt50

This is my second post on adding a tom to the Safari kit. The likelihood of finding an exact match (red sparkle) seems remote. I guess the 12" from the Bop kit would be ideal, but would toms from other Sonor lines work (like the Force toms, etc), or would they sound really different? Thanks.

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
The Safari and Bop kit are basswood. You could find any force, select force or other drum and have it wrapped to match. I have seen similar red wrap online. I don't think going with another wood material will affect the sound so much; more so head selection.

rpt50

Thanks. On the other thread someone mentioned just picking up a Sonor Bop shell pack to mix and match as needed. I'll just keep my eye on ebay, c-list, and look around at some of our local shops. I'm not sure how much my son is going to care about looks, but the best way may be just to pick up a full used Sonor kit and sell off what we don't need.

sethlowden

For what it is worth, I was curious about the wood used in the Safari kits, so I emailed the U.S. reps. Here is the answer I got from Larry Nelson, the Product Manager of Sonor USA:

"They are all poplar, originally the first couple shipments may have been basswood, then in 2011 Sonor shifted over to poplar which I was happy to hear"

I am waiting for some Christmas sales to buy one.

rpt50

I forgot to post, but I ended up finding a new 12" Force 1005 tom on ebay for like $40. The color is not a good match (kind of burgundy vs red sparkle, but no one ever notices), but the sound IS a good match.