Active Monitor to play drums with recordings?

DaleClark

Sometimes I like to take out ear monitors and headphones and play with recordings thru speakers at home. I do not want to have home audio speakers and components. I am looking for something that will be loud enough (of course) and allow me to plug source (phone, computer, etc) directly in monitor. Prefer under $500. The Mackie Thump series looks interesting, however, not a lot of great comments about them in various audio threads. Anyone hear doing the same with a powered monitor?

brentcn

Platinum Member
QSC K10's are VERY nice, and one will fit your budget if you can find it used. RCA, XLR, and quarter inch inputs all on the back.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I use a Kustom 50 watt powered speaker. I think it cost about USA $ 90 new about 7 years ago. Works well.

motojosh

I've done what you're talking about with both a Yamaha THR10C (https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/amps_accessories/thr/index.html#product-tabs) and Simmons DA200S (http://simmonsdrums.net/product/da200/).

The THR10C is actually a modeling amp for guitar, but has an aux in that works great for music. If you also play guitar, this might be a good double-duty solution. I usually use the Simmons as an amp for e-drums, but it too has an aux in that works for music. They make a 50-watt version, too, if 200 watts seems like too much.

DaleClark

Musician's friend has a flash sale with the 1000w 15 inch Mackie Thump.It also has a built in 3 channel mixer. I could mic my bass drum if it gets drowned out. The price is $249. I think I will try it out.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Musician's friend has a flash sale with the 1000w 15 inch Mackie Thump.It also has a built in 3 channel mixer. I could mic my bass drum if it gets drowned out. The price is $249. I think I will try it out.
That should work out fine. Peace and goodwill.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Buy a used JBL Eon G2. They will sound MUCH better than the Mackie, and the EON G2 has built-in mixer on the back. They also tilt back like a monitor. (But be sure you get the G2 series.)