Acrylic Snare options

Seafroggys

Silver Member
So last year I bought a Pearl Crystal Beat shell pack. No snare so I've just been using my brass snare the two times I've played shows with it. Would like to have a matching snare option.

However, looking online, I'm seeing that things are very limited. I know there's a lot more brands and such that make arcylic snares, but they're not being sold on musicianfriend and sweetwater and those sites. Pretty much the only two I see are a Chad Smith signature PDP snare, and a DW snare. The price is actually good on those two, but I hate DW lugs, and I'm not really a fan of signature series gear (personal preference, don't want to walk around with some famous drummer's signature on my stuff). Pearl, of course, does make a Crystal Beat snare, but its a virgin shell and like $600, which is half the price I paid for the whole shell pack!

Are there any other options? I'm looking to spend no more than $400, maybe $500 if its really, really good.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
how are the Vistalite snares? There's a clear one on Reverb for $350 ($50 shipping) with the offer option.

there's also this for $122: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Crystal-Beat-Acrylic-Free-Floating-Snare-Shell-14x5-Ultra-Clear-Video/292057730664?epid=1043512668&hash=item43ffff4e68:g:0H0AAOSw4A5YyrX9

the 6.5 is $135. is the free floating shell hardware expensive?
Yeah I've definitely seen the shell by itself. I haven't seen the free floating hardware for sale, but I haven't looked. Even if it is, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for it to be drastically cheaper than the 'complete' snare, because otherwise everybody would just buy it seperately and put it together, it takes like no skill whatsoever, aside from tuning the heads!

I've heard the vintage vistalites are prone to spider cracking, so I kind of want to avoid that route. Modern vistalites are fine, but I feel they are way overpriced, and even more expensive than the Pearl.

Pork Pie is definitely of interest to me, great price point and I know they're a solid brand. I'm just surprised the regular sellers don't stock them, they're only available through reverb and on their website.

Yeah I've definitely seen the shell by itself. I haven't seen the free floating hardware for sale, but I haven't looked. Even if it is, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for it to be drastically cheaper than the 'complete' snare, because otherwise everybody would just buy it seperately and put it together, it takes like no skill whatsoever, aside from tuning the heads!

I've heard the vintage vistalites are prone to spider cracking, so I kind of want to avoid that route. Modern vistalites are fine, but I feel they are way overpriced, and even more expensive than the Pearl.

Pork Pie is definitely of interest to me, great price point and I know they're a solid brand. I'm just surprised the regular sellers don't stock them, they're only available through reverb and on their website.
yeah, I was wondering why the shell is that cheap but the complete ones are close to $600. the hardware itself is really worth $400+? seems kinda crazy.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You could always build one. Precision Drum Co. sells everything you would need. Or you could just buy an acrylic shell and a donor snare for the hardware.