Acrylic Drums Color Matter?

ronyd

Silver Member
I know this is subjective, but Curious if color affects resale? Is staying neutral with clear the safest option to resell?

Old Dog new Cans

I think Red, clear, orange "seem" to be more popular. I've seen a couple blue and greens for sale, they look dirty (and probably are). But I think you're on the right track with the clear. JMO Wasn't Bohnam's orange? That may effect resale--nostalgia.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I know this is subjective, but Curious if color affects resale? Is staying neutral with clear the safest option to resell?
Indeed it is, just is it is with generic drums.

For example: When the Gretsch Marquee was released, it was available in a natural brown, an ugly pink/orange, and an ridiculous purple. It wasn't till guitar center put in an exclusive order for "gloss black" that it sold well.

my opinion... go for clear. LEDs can make it whatever color you want.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I see a lot of blue here when they come up. I wonder if the colors were distributed regionally, or if it's purely coincidence.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I see a lot of blue here when they come up. I wonder if the colors were distributed regionally, or if it's purely coincidence.
In terms of "vintage" Ludwig Vistalite .... blue was most popular on the east coast. Clear was most popular on the west coast. Green was most rare of the solid colors, and so commands highers dollars.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Depending on who the company is resourcing their shells from, I am quite fond of coke bottle green:

Whoa! I've never seen that shade before, but that simply knocks it out of the park for me. I've always preferred clear, but Coke Bottle Green would easily win my investment. Yeah, boy.

GeeDeeEmm

IBitePrettyHard

Honestly if we're talking about Vistalites, I'd be happy with any of the major colors. Meaning, if I were in the market for used Vistalites and saw Red or Blue or Orange or Green, I wouldn't have any qualms about getting whatever was available. They're all good IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but concerning Vistalites specifically, I don't see a prospective buyer saying "yeah...but they're red, so no thanks".

Lol, but this is coming from someone who has a Jelly Bean kit. So maybe my opinion is worthless, haha.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Man, this thread is NOT helping my Vistalite envy AT ALL!

The new sparkle green Vistalites are some of the most impressive-looking drums I've seen in a long time, but I've love to have a kit in any color.

ronyd

Silver Member
At buddies drumshop he has the vistalites orange Bonham kit.. beautiful and $$$. I prefer a 10, 12, 14, 20 configuration. Was thinking of the pearl crystal beats tangerine Or clear. Like DW, only one configuration with a 22. So $1000 vs $1500.
Im reviving my acoustic electronic conversion using acrylic kit, so tonal qualities not a biggy. I got my Yamaha custom kits for that 😁

NackAttack

I don’t think it matters too much. As with about anything else when you’re looking at resale value, a more neutral color would probably be slightly easier to find a buyer; however, they wouldn’t make the other colors if there wasn’t a market for them. That being said, vintage amber Vistalites are the only way to go acrylic. :p (Jk, I’m biased)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Does it affect resale? I think it can.

In dealing with vintage (as others have said), more rare colors may command higher prices, but they may not if marketed as orphan toms. For example, there's a couple of black and white "candy stripe" concert toms for sale locally going for a couple of hundred dollars, and I bet unless this person puts them on Reverb or evilBay, then they probably won't sell because selling high-end drums in my area is like trying to sell industrial heating units to homeowners in South Florida.

If I was going to go down the acrylic road with the intent of reselling one day, I'd go to ebay and look at auctions that were actually completed as opposed to what was currently for sale.

I know if it were me, I'd be MUCH more concerned with their stability and condition more than color because some of those vintage ones were more prone to cracking and/or separating seams. Although I'm a huge proponent of buying used, I'd almost consider buying new acrylics and may even spring for an extended warranty. If I had to pick a color, I really like the coke-bottle shade the best. In any case, I'd get something light-colored so you could actually see through them. I never got why people would get a dark-colored acrylic kit because half the fun is the see-through aspect. I'm not a huge fan of the sound from what I'm hearing online. I don't think I've ever heard them live. They are cool, but I just don't see myself hanging on to any long-term, but that's just me.