Acrolite P85 woes

Hewitt2

Like clockwork, every few days the top screw of my late 70s Acrolite P85 pops off, resulting in the strainer being barely affixed to the drum. It’s getting really frustrating as I have to take off the top head, re-attach the nut to the screw and tune the drum again.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it the screw nut, the strainer, both or neither? I’m not sure what’s happening and if I should throw in the towel and just buy a new strainer (already had to replace two lugs that snapped off - not sure if that’s related- this Acrolite is starting to become uneconomical).

If it matters I’m not a super hard harder but I play rock music with plenty of rim shots. The top head is tuned medium-right (315 on tune-bot).

thanks for your help!

Pick up a little tube of Loctite BLUE....THREADLOCKER

Follow the instructions. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Locktite, locking washer, or both.

Once a screw is loose, it will loosen till it falls off with vibration. The point of the exercise is to prevent it from breaking from the mated surface, either via adhesion or additional static friction.

I agree, Locktite or a lock washer should do the trick.

To answer your first question though, no I've never had that happen to me, and I've owned a lot of drums with a P-85 over the years. All of mine have had a factory-supplied lock washer though. Does your P-85 have lock washers?

Use a nylock. It's a nut with a nylon insert. The nylon locks around the screw threads and won't back out.

If you use Loctite, read the package. Don't just go by color. There is blue loctite that is for plastic only, red loctite that will basically weld your nut and screw together. Just picking a color can give poor results, be too much, or just be the wrong product. There is also purple loctite, black loctite, loctite liquid metal, loctite super glue, you get the idea.

Use a nylock. It's a nut with a nylon insert. The nylon locks around the screw threads and won't back out.

If you use Loctite, read the package. Don't just go by color. There is blue loctite that is for plastic only, red loctite that will basically weld your nut and screw together. Just picking a color can give poor results, be too much, or just be the wrong product. There is also purple loctite, black loctite, loctite liquid metal, loctite super glue, you get the idea.

thanks everyone. Quick question: are washers redundant or should I get those too with lock nuts to ensure they stay tight?

thanks everyone. Quick question: are washers redundant or should I get those too with lock nuts to ensure they stay tight?

This is a nylock. If you use one, you don't need a lock washer. A regular washer will work just fine, and yes you should use one.

image000000.jpg

Sorry for the obnoxious size...but...these are the only 2 color coded "THREADLOCKERS" listed on the LOCTITE web page....
THREADLOCKERS

Secures nuts and bolts from accidental loosening. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration.

This is what I have on the drum - I don’t think I’m missing anything?

That lock washer appears to be missing the tips of a few nibs, and likely has no/little cutting edge remaining. It also appears to have a bit of grease, or some other schmoo, on the mating surface.

A nylon insert lock nut is all you need, Like Mr. Insane Polack said. Be sure you have a good size fender washer underneath to protect the shell. Most hardware stores sell thick fender washers. I recommend using those.

IMPORTANT: Resist the temptation to get the strainer overly-tight. I've seen WAY too many Acrolite shells that have two indentations where the strainer meets the shell because of overtightening. It's a thin aluminum shell. Treat it with care. The nylon lock washer only needs to be snug. It's not going anywhere!

Sorry for the obnoxious size...but...these are the only 2 color coded "THREADLOCKERS" listed on the LOCTITE web page....
THREADLOCKERS

Secures nuts and bolts from accidental loosening. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration.

Here ya go:

This is just an overview.

There is a .PDF with 21 different kinds of Loctite and their properties. I don't know how to attach it though.

Here ya go:

This is just an overview.

There is a .PDF with 21 different kinds of Loctite and their properties. I don't know how to attach it though.
Thanks for the heads up....Loctite didn’t even have that much info on their website....

still....only ONE blue....lol

Thanks for the heads up....Loctite didn’t even have that much info on their website....

still....only ONE blue....lol

Wish I could attach the PDF. Loctite 220, 242, 243, 246, 248, 2046, 2422, 2432, and 425 are all blue. 249 is blue also but it is a tape.

Back