Acrolite buying advice

FredZ

Hello everybody! I'm new to the forum, and I wanted to ask you for a piece of advice. I currently own a Tama SLP 14x5,5 classic maple snare, but I was offered a 1978 Acrolite for 270€ (300$), which is a bit expensive, but lower than the usual price in Europe. Do you think it's worth the upgrade? I should also get some cymbals, but this snare is really tempting me! Maybe I should go for it and sell the Tama. What do you think?
I play mainly songwriting and indie-pop, sometimes in semi-acoustic situations.
Thanks

Last edited:

retoxtony

Not sure if the acrolite is really a upgrade from a Tama SLP maple. Pretty different sounding drums but I’d consider the SLP to be a better built drum than an older Acro. Every time I swap a head on my acrolite or supraphonic I can’t help but think how cheaply made everything is about them. They do sound good though.

I’d buy the acro but not sure if I’d sell your current snare to do it, especially if your happy with the sound of your Tama. The acrolite will sound different but only your ears can decide if it’s good or bad different.

basset52

Hi , and welcome to the DW Forum. I can't speak to the comparison of the drums, nor can I speak to the price as it relates to your situation.However, having bought a 14 x 5 Acrolite a few weeks ago I can say you will not be disappointed in the Acrolite providing it is in good nick. I really didn't need another snare but bought one to see if it lived up to its reputation. It does . I really like it. It is a very versatile drum.

Skrivarna

If you have the money, I'd say you should buy it if it is in good shape. As you have noted, these are hard to find at good prices in Europe.
But, I'd not replace the Tama. That is a great workhorse, much more reliably built, and with another type of sound.

FredZ

Thanks for taking the time to discuss your experience, guys. The Tama does sound good, indeed. A little "boxed", but maybe because of the Remo CS black dot that it's mounting now. I think I should try a UV1 or Ambassador for a more open, ringy sound

IBitePrettyHard

Like other people are saying, don't sell the Tama SLP Maple. That's a great snare. The Acrolite would be a nice 2nd snare and give you a different sound. If you can afford it, buy the Acrolite. Just don't sell the Tama!

jdavis

Yeah, I'd keep the SLP but look around for either A) a less expensive Acro, or B) a 60s vintage Acro if you can find one for a decent price. Just something I like about the late 60s over the ones from the 70s and 80s. Good luck whichever way you decide to go. (y)

BTW, is buying from the US an option for you?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I think everybody should have at least 3 snares—a good wood snare, a good aluminum, and a good brass. I prefer copper to brass, so most of my metal snares are copper, and I do mostly low-volume gigs, so copper works better for those.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I was offered a 1978 Acrolite for 270€ (300$), which is a bit expensive, but lower than the usual price in Europe. Do you think it's worth the upgrade?
The Acrolite is a wonderful full-featured student drum with a pleasant/familiar sound. It's easy to maintain and service, simple to use, and completely unoffensive.

For $300-US... I would expect the package to include an Acro in perfect condition, with the original UFO/Tombstone case, stand, Gladstone Pad, etc. Otherwise, you might as as well get a used LM400.

FredZ

Yeah, I'd keep the SLP but look around for either A) a less expensive Acro, or B) a 60s vintage Acro if you can find one for a decent price. Just something I like about the late 60s over the ones from the 70s and 80s. Good luck whichever way you decide to go. (y)

BTW, is buying from the US an option for you?
This would be a great solution, I believe. I like the ones from the 60s a lot, too. The thing with buying from the US is that import fees in Italy are very high. I bought a Reflexx pad and the final price was double the original

FredZ

The Acrolite is a wonderful full-featured student drum with a pleasant/familiar sound. It's easy to maintain and service, simple to use, and completely unoffensive.

For $300-US... I would expect the package to include an Acro in perfect condition, with the original UFO/Tombstone case, stand, Gladstone Pad, etc. Otherwise, you might as as well get a used LM400.
Just another brand's case and no accessories. I've never seen an acro sold for less than 300$ here in Italy

FredZ

Like other people are saying, don't sell the Tama SLP Maple. That's a great snare. The Acrolite would be a nice 2nd snare and give you a different sound. If you can afford it, buy the Acrolite. Just don't sell the Tama!
Thanks for the feedback. It would be a great solution, but since I have no rides o crashes (I use practice spots's ones or borrow from friends for gigs) maybe I should invest in one of those, instead of having two snares

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
My main snare for smaller gigs and recording is an Acrolite. I'm using mine this Thursday at a jazz gig. I also have an older MIJ Tama Maple with re-rings, and a new Sakae Trilogy maple with re-rings. The wood snares are a bit louder and not quite as dry, and work better for larger gigs.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Thanks for taking the time to discuss your experience, guys. The Tama does sound good, indeed. A little "boxed", but maybe because of the Remo CS black dot that it's mounting now. I think I should try a UV1 or Ambassador for a more open, ringy sound
I wouldn't do it. If you're looking for a different sound from your Tama, just switch heads.
If you really want the Acrolite, buy it as an additional snare if you can afford it.

If those two snares were sitting in front of me and I had to pick one,
I'd go for the Tama.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Just another brand's case and no accessories. I've never seen an acro sold for less than 300$ here in Italy
I'd probably pass then and would give consideration to the beaded metal snare that is part of your current ecosystem (Tama). I believe they make a beaded aluminium that captures the spirit of the LM400's sound quite well. I struggle trying to justify someone spending $300 on a drum that us yanks can get for $75 at our local goodwill.

I'd probably pass then and would give consideration to the beaded metal snare that is part of your current ecosystem (Tama). I believe they make a beaded aluminium that captures the spirit of the LM400's sound quite well. I struggle trying to justify someone spending $300 on a drum that us yanks can get for $75 at our local goodwill.
woah! I had no idea goodwill had an online database. that's good to know. I've searched over the years, but only just recently decided to buy an Acrolite, but it does seem that the are selling for way more than ever of late.

IBitePrettyHard

woah! I had no idea goodwill had an online database. that's good to know. I've searched over the years, but only just recently decided to buy an Acrolite, but it does seem that the are selling for way more than ever of late.
Yeah I'd say the average price of a used Acrolite is closer to $200 now.