Acoustics of a Room

gusty

Platinum Member
I'm looking to enhance the acoustics of my garage...what can I do?

For instance...

add carpet?
have lots of stuff in there?

anything else? do these things help in any way?

harryconway

Platinum Member
What do you have in there right now? And what "symptoms" are you trying to cure. Too much boom? Echo? Ring?

gusty

Platinum Member
I don't really know yet, because i havent moved into the house where ill put the kit...but i think it will probly be fairly packed, couch, tv, boxes maybe. its a two car garage and we're planning on putting carpet down. any other details needed? i don't know muh about acoustics and related topics.

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

In that case I recommend you do some reading! Start with reverberation principles, standing waves and phase cancellation and then start on your psychoacoustics. That should be about two years' worth of study right there.

gusty

Platinum Member
In that case I recommend you do some reading! Start with reverberation principles, standing waves and phase cancellation and then start on your psychoacoustics. That should be about two years' worth of study right there.
Maybe ill just wait and hope that it sounds fine as it is :) lol

In my case I put carpet and throw rugs on the floor and hung carpet padding on the walls. Looks ugly, sounds amazing.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
It depends on what you are using said acoustics FOR!!

If you are just using it for practicing and rehearsal, you might want to deaden it down a whole lot as to make it a bit quieter. But if you plan on recording, you might LIKE the lively sound afforded by an un-dead'nd room. The acoustic liveliness can certainly help get some cool sounds even before you use outboard processes and effects.

Maybe removable ways to tweak the room's acoustics would serve you best, giving YOU the choice. (hanging rugs or blankets for the walls and throw rugs for the floors that can be moved around or removed altogether if desired.)

gusty

Platinum Member
Yeah, it's just for practise and rehersal.

Thanks for the rugs, carpet and blankets advice :) ill try and get some old ones if we have any and experiment with them.