Acoustic Nightmare in Gymnasiums

Jayson

I'm generally a good drummer - but I cannot play in a gymnasium. How come the acoustics make it to where I cannot hear? Anyway, my only major screwing up with a band - was in a gymnasium.

Rock Salad

What are you asking? Sorry to hear about your bad day.
Simplifying what you play and leaving more spaces helps in confusing acoustic situations.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You can tune for the room, but in a big open space like a gym, it's gonna be echoey and boomy. Kit position and tuning play a lot, but you can't really treat the room. Earplugs might help also. The noise (drums) directly in front of you should come through louder and cleaner than the room (echo, boom, reverb) when your ears are stuffed.

Jayson

You can tune for the room, but in a big open space like a gym, it's gonna be echoey and boomy. Kit position and tuning play a lot, but you can't really treat the room. Earplugs might help also. The noise (drums) directly in front of you should come through louder and cleaner than the room (echo, boom, reverb) when your ears are stuffed.
Yeah. earplugs are an idea - never occurred to me - LOL.

Rock Salad

Adjust your playing to what you can hear. Simplify, leave more space or soften up your volume in between accents.
Ear plugs might help you, but your listeners still will be hearing any confusion that the acoustics cause.