Acoustic/Electronic?

Vheissu

Hi guys.

Signed up because I am inching ever closer to my dream of learning the drums.

Some background: I've wanted to play the drums ever since I was 16 but was never allowed a kit and as a result have had a guitar thrust upon me since I begrudgingly gave in aged 20. I'm now 23, and as much as I 'like' guitar I don't really love it, and I really just feel like drumming is the one I'm really after. I've never even played, I just know I'll love it, if that makes any sense at all.

Anyway. In order to not annoy the neighbours too much, I wondered what sort of kit I should look at buying and in which price range? I've heard you can get silencer pads for the acoustic but just how quiet does that make it? What should I go for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kit choice may depend on neighbours/space, i have used those silencer pads and they cut the drums down to about talking volume, although they make they remove most of the drums actual sound (you end up with a dull thud).
If there's no more replies when i come back from eating ill give you some more info.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Just play the drums loud and proud!

This will force you to focus and make positive progress.

Neighbors usually call the cops on people who suck at playing.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Craigslist, used, Roland, mesh heads, $300 -$1000

Making the switch to acoustic will take some work but you can certainly work on coordination skills with a Ekit and headphones.

kurth83

You live in a house or an apartment?

Upstairs or downstairs?

Common walls and ceilings are the trouble spots.

Kits are the most annoying to downstairs neighbors, the kick
makes a thud on the ceiling (even e-kits).

In a house, with all the doors and windows shut, you could likely
get away with an acoustic, but stick to polite hours.