Achieving my ideal bass drum sound

drummingman

Gold Member
The sound that I'm going for is punchy with a decent amount of presence but not really boomy and not super dead.

I have a 20x16 Maple Ludwig Centennial bass drum.

I plan to use Aquarian head's. I'm thinking a super kick 1 as the batter with a force 2 as the front head. I'm not sure of I will need any internal muffling or not and I'm not real sure how I should tune the head's as I really have no experience with the super kick head's. I also plan to use an Aquarian double kick pad on the head as well.

I play a good amount of double bass as I'm in a metal band. So I want the sound to not be muddy when doing double kick. But not super dead either.

For you all that have experience with the super kick 1 do you think I will be able to get the sound I'm going for which this head combo and do you have tunning, muffling, etc, advice?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Pre-muffled heads like the Super Kick need to be tuned pretty high; higher than you might think in order to get a good solid tone and not just a dead slap.

With a Super Kick and a Regulator front head you probably won't need any other internal muffling.

bonerpizza

Silver Member
An Aquarian Super Kick 1 batter head with an Aquarian Regulator reso head is a good combo, the Super Kick 2 would probably be too much muffle action for the sound you're looking for. Get a ported Regulator head and if you do need to muffle it at all try a towel or two but don't overdo it, I just two long strips from an old Mexican blanket and it's just right for me, raising the tension on your resonant head will increase the punch.

drummingman

Gold Member
Thanks guys!

I honestly thought about just doing an sk 1 with a regulator front head with no muffling. But I was not sure if it would still be too boomy with no muffling in the kick.

Funny thing is that with my current head's I just tuned them to JAW because I was trying to get rid of some of the boom. I have been using a force 1 batter with a force 2 front head with a Tama kick pad in the drum.