Accurate cover of YYZ (Rush)

SbrickwallS

Don't know the original? Holy cow that's blasphomy! hehe

dtrushr30dw you did a great job covering that tune man. Job very well done.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Excellent job of nailing the parts exactly! If there's anything you played different than the original, even the sticking, I couldn't detect it.

And that's saying something. Because I studied the heck out of that tune about 30 years ago, so I'd have a pretty good idea. What I noticed most of all is how well you nailed the left hand part. Lots of people don't realize that Neil played all sorts of grace notes and some diddles with the left hand on that tune (and some others), but you got it exactly right, as far as I can tell. I always tried to "get inside the head" of drummers when learnig their stuff, just to have an idea of not only what they played, but how. I think you've managed that here just great.

Nicely done!

dtrushr30dw

Excellent job of nailing the parts exactly! If there's anything you played different than the original, even the sticking, I couldn't detect it.

And that's saying something. Because I studied the heck out of that tune about 30 years ago, so I'd have a pretty good idea. What I noticed most of all is how well you nailed the left hand part. Lots of people don't realize that Neil played all sorts of grace notes and some diddles with the left hand on that tune (and some others), but you got it exactly right, as far as I can tell. I always tried to "get inside the head" of drummers when learnig their stuff, just to have an idea of not only what they played, but how. I think you've managed that here just great.

Nicely done!
Thank you! That means a lot; not many people pick up on all of the ghost notes. I tried to play it as accurately as possible. Most of the ghost notes just come naturally, the classic Neil Peart ride pattern is just a paradiddle with some RLRL alternate sticking thrown in. This was really fun to play and learn. Getting inside the mind of NP is interesting, I found that my playing got much "stiffer" (if that's a way to describe it).. I felt like I had to really get that stiff, mechanical feel, to properly replicate the song.

dtrushr30dw

i need some advice on a simple setup to record over music like you have done. what do I need to buy? how much are we talking? I just play a 4 piece. 3 cymbals.
I started out with the Audix FP7 pack. It got me a solid foundation to build on. I recommend getting a focusrite saffire pro40 - for your interface/microphone pres.
Microphones:
Bass drum - Audix D6/AKG D112/EV RE20
Snare - Audix i5 top/ i5 on bottom (2 mics on snare)
Rack tom - Audix D2/ Sennheiser e604/ sennheiser MD421
Floor tom - MD421/ Audix D4/D6/ AKG D112
Overheads - Any large diaphragm condenser - Rode Nt2a/AKG C214 or C414

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. I started out with the Audix fusion series, but now I find myself saving to get some Sennheiser MD421s.

P.S. Ebay is your friend ;)
-Jackson

hey that's a great cover.
I was wondering how you're gonna hit your two high toms, because the hi-hat rod seems to be in front of them, but your roll at 2:21 made me shut my mouth.
how old are you, if you don't mind the question?

dtrushr30dw

hey that's a great cover.
I was wondering how you're gonna hit your two high toms, because the hi-hat rod seems to be in front of them, but your roll at 2:21 made me shut my mouth.
how old are you, if you don't mind the question?
I just turned 17. And the hi hat rod is below the toms, kind of in between them. But nonetheless, those are always a struggle for me to reach. I just have it setup like that to be faithful in replicating the song.

picodon

Silver Member
Oolalah... Now that is a song that has been impregnated in my brain note for note some 25 years ago. And I think your video is the youtube equivalent of the wikipedia entry of YYZ. This is how it should be done, this is how the old guy does it. I might have given this a try, had I not wasted half my life doing other things than drumming :p... Congratulations!

picodon

Silver Member
Thank you! That means a lot; not many people pick up on all of the ghost notes. I tried to play it as accurately as possible. Most of the ghost notes just come naturally, the classic Neil Peart ride pattern is just a paradiddle with some RLRL alternate sticking thrown in. This was really fun to play and learn. Getting inside the mind of NP is interesting, I found that my playing got much "stiffer" (if that's a way to describe it).. I felt like I had to really get that stiff, mechanical feel, to properly replicate the song.
What I like is that you don't just stupidly replicate, but you actually register what happens when you get in Neil's skin. What else do you play? (i will do some searching)

scorch whammin

Gold Member
Getting inside the mind of NP is interesting, I found that my playing got much "stiffer" (if that's a way to describe it).. I felt like I had to really get that stiff, mechanical feel, to properly replicate the song.
Excellent job on this cover!.. And certainly not an easy song to learn .... And your description of learning Neil's style (quoted above), I find to be very accurate as well ...

dtrushr30dw

What I like is that you don't just stupidly replicate, but you actually register what happens when you get in Neil's skin. What else do you play? (i will do some searching)
If you check out my YouTube channel you can see all of my drum covers. I cover lots of different genres/styles, but they all of that "progressive" aspect to them, or at least tasteful/technical drum parts. Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, The Fall of Troy, Avenged Sevenfold.. just to name a few.
My channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNlCAYZUOGmBH4Hqefo4oRg/videos

Roy E. Munson

I started out with the Audix FP7 pack. It got me a solid foundation to build on. I recommend getting a focusrite saffire pro40 - for your interface/microphone pres.
Microphones:
Bass drum - Audix D6/AKG D112/EV RE20
Snare - Audix i5 top/ i5 on bottom (2 mics on snare)
Rack tom - Audix D2/ Sennheiser e604/ sennheiser MD421
Floor tom - MD421/ Audix D4/D6/ AKG D112
Overheads - Any large diaphragm condenser - Rode Nt2a/AKG C214 or C414

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. I started out with the Audix fusion series, but now I find myself saving to get some Sennheiser MD421s.

P.S. Ebay is your friend ;)
-Jackson
is that all you need then an interface and mics? I was under the impression I would need a mixer as well.