Accidentally Found Lost Treasure

Ruok

Silver Member
I was down my cellar popping popcorn and happened to see a box sitting there in its usual spot. I've looked at this box a million times over the years along with all the other boxes and I finally wondered what could possibly be inside. It's been sitting there since 2007 when I first moved into this place after getting married and I just never bothered to look into it all this time.

Well, to my surprise, there were my long lost sticks that I put in the box for the move. There was also a shaker in the box that I totally forgot about. This may not be a big deal for some of you, but it made my day and thought I'd share. So, 16 pairs in all. The darkest looking pair was from a "MUSIC MINUS ONE" LP from the early 1970s that my parents got me for Christmas. :)

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Have you ever accidentally come across any music gear years later that you lost or forgot about?

Last edited:
Have you ever accidentally come across any music gear years later that you lost or forgot about?
Yes and no.

The bass player in my old band, without me knowing, attached a waterproof match container to my drum kit in an empty slot of a Pearl 3 hole multiclamp. I had no idea it was there because it was silver and a tube. It looked like it belonged there.

Time passed, and I noticed the thing in the clamp one day. So I loosened the clamp and took the thing out of the slot. I opened it up, and low and behold there was a joint inside of it.

So yes, I found a forgotten item attached to my instrument, but no it wasnt mine to forget about and it wasnt musical gear.

09A0312-waterproof-brass-match-case-f-02.jpg

I have done just that. I've had this green carrying case forever...kind of a businessman looking thing..im looking under a hideabed downstairs for my stick bag and bring the case out. I open it and my promark 5A quadros were in there along with lots of promark..paiste..mapex..vater..and Aquarian stickers along with an old letter from Russ Kunkell.

I was down my cellar popping popcorn and happened to see a box sitting there in its usual spot. I've looked at this box a million times over the years along with all the other boxes and I finally wondered what could possibly be inside. It's been sitting there since 2007 when I first moved into this place after getting married and I just never bothered to look into it all this time.

Well, to my surprise, there were my long lost sticks that I put in the box for the move. There was also a shaker in the box that I totally forgot about. This may not be a big deal for some of you, but it made my day and thought I'd share. So, 16 pairs in all. The darkest looking pair was from a "MUSIC MINUS ONE" LP from the early 1970s that my parents got me for Christmas. :)

View attachment 103403

Ahhh...that is truly a treasure box! And each pair probably has wonderful memories associated with it. And you still have that cherished first pair that your Mom and Dad gave you

Yes and no.

The bass player in my old band, without me knowing, attached a waterproof match container to my drum kit in an empty slot of a Pearl 3 hole multiclamp. I had no idea it was there because it was silver and a tube. It looked like it belonged there.

Time passed, and I noticed the thing in the clamp one day. So I loosened the clamp and took the thing out of the slot. I opened it up, and low and behold there was a joint inside of it.

So yes, I found a forgotten item attached to my instrument, but no it wasnt mine to forget about and it wasnt musical gear.

View attachment 103404
So was it any good after all that time? I'd like to say I'd throw it away but heck no I know I'd have to find out. Curiosity killed the cat but it has 9 lives LOL. Waterproof must have had a good seal so I'm curious how it survived-for purely academic reasons ROFL.

I did find a small baggie (contents about the size of half a sandwich) of some mysterious greenish/reddish substance in the "strings" compartment of my guitar case once, about ten years after I had started "behaving".
Didn't know what to do with it.

I probably should change my string more often, or look harder for some I already have before buying more.

I'm just not a very organized kinda dude.

So was it any good after all that time? I'd like to say I'd throw it away but heck no I know I'd have to find out. Curiosity killed the cat but it has 9 lives LOL. Waterproof must have had a good seal so I'm curious how it survived-for purely academic reasons ROFL.
It was still within its expiration date 🙂.

I have heard that stuff never expires...kinda like Cap'n Crunch, Doritos, Ice cream...or maybe it's just the urge for those things that lasts well after.
Alcohol tinctures will remain active for decades, but dried herb will lose potency as seeds will go dormant over time (I lost a strain I developed). If you seal it (under an inert gas would be best), keep it out of light, and cold temp it should last longer. Young folks nowadays tell me how much better the "fruit" is than past but I think if I had some 70-80s select fruit preserved I'd change their minds LOL

Ahhh...that is truly a treasure box! And each pair probably has wonderful memories associated with it. And you still have that cherished first pair that your Mom and Dad gave you

They are special to me. My parents and my sticks, haha!

It was my parents that gave me my first toy snare drum as a five year old. I didn’t ask for a drum, nor did I ever express interest in drums. But there it was one Christmas morning and I absolutely had a blast with it. They noticed how much I loved it and they totally encouraged me to play and they eventually got me better drums. As a kid, if I went a long time without playing my drums, my mother looked concerned and would ask me why I wasn’t playing and would ask if anything was wrong.

The other thing I found in that box that I didn’t mention was a cassette player. I’m not sure if it still works. I’ll have to check it out.

Last edited:
Not drums, but I recently found a Volca Bass synth I'd misplaced.
It's not large.

Yes and no.

View attachment 103404
Never seen one o' they.
Nice bit of engineering too.

When I was cleaning and organizing a few months ago, I looked through a few random gear tubs, and apparently I have bunch of those RemO's control rings. I don't know how many sets of those I've bought over the years, but apparently, it was several. I use SnareWeights and Big Fat Snare Drums now that work much better for my needs.

I'm pretty sure I bought those control rings whenever I was playing in churches all of the time. I knew I had some, but I didn't realize how many I had accumulated over the years.

I've never re-discovered anything cool or unusual because I have a tendency to get rid of anything that I'm not using (except for RemO control rings apparently).

👍 I’m still missing my Sony studio headphones from my V drum days since we moved. I did get some AKGs but know the Sony’s are still out there. I’m on the look out but have yet gone through all our boxes I may just do that.

We moved into a new town 22 years ago with two young daughters the night before the first day of school started. A group of friends and relatives greeted us to offload two U-Hauls. We had the boxes clearly labeled with contents and which rooms to stack them in. My wife directed everyone where to put things. It was organized chaos but we got things done. That month I decked the attic and got a lot of the spare boxes moved up into the attic. I had a corner of the attic designated for miscellaneous drum items. I also built a 14' X 10' storage shed in the backyard for additional storage of the remaining boxes.

Fast forward to the beginning of the pandemic when I had a lot of spare time on my hands. I realized I had a number of missing pieces of hardware, Aquarian Cymbal Springs and a chromatic set of JOPA bells. I tore the attic apart and no sign of the missing gear. I figured the parts must have been lost in the move.

Three months ago I'm repainting my shed and putting a new roof on it. I decided it was a good time to reorganize the interior contents. I was looking for a backpacking stove and found my missing drum gear in a Tupperware tub stored with all of our camping and backpacking gear.

Unfortunately the Discovery Channel is no longer interested in shooting their new documentary series Yamaha Gold when they found out this didn't involve Steve Gadd. On a positive note the Disney Channel is entertaining the possibility of shooting a full length movie entitled The Absent Minded Drummer.
Tagline: "Hardware wasn't the only thing he lost."

Shed.jpg

MissingGear.jpg

Back