Accidentally finding new music..

Icetech

Gold Member
So.. i spend my nights after work practicing for 1-2 hours doing exercises then 1-2 hours flipping through youtube playing along with songs. That suggestion bar on the right though has led me to some interesting discoveries. Bands like leaf hound or Fresh blueberry pancake. Or Black Cat bones which i am in love with. Point is.. in the last year i have found an amazing amount of these 1-2 album bands that were great.

So lately i have been playing mostly old funk/soul stuff and the bar on the right hasn't been very helpful then last night i click on Jiro Inagaki and run into Japanese funk/jazz and am just so blown away. Partly the music which isn't groundbreaking but is sooo good. But also because i had never really thought about this type of music from that part of the world..

My reason for this thread though is my curiosity about others having the same experiences of randomly finding stuff that you didn't know existed and made you think just wow there is so much out there and how did i not know about this before?

A big one for me (which will make you guys shrug) was Cantaloupe Island. Being more of a rock/metal guy growing up i didn't start listening to jazz til recently and when i heard this with my headphones on my jaw dropped.. Mainly the drumming. There are these perfect tiny rolls in there that just blow me away everytime i hear it. So perfect.

Done rambling... if you have had moments where you were found something new like that and were just dumbstruck please post and share :)

Jiro Inagaki

P.S. also ran into this.. which i thought was interesting.. think you might know the first song :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq26JRkIOf8

P.P.S. sorry this should have been in Offtopic.. realized as i hit post.. sorry mods!

Last edited:

jmeirhofer

While most of my "discoveries" are a lot more mainstream than those, I do find Pandora is good for that. I listen to Pandora 4-5 hours a day while working. When something comes on that I really feel I write it down and then add it to my youtube list later. If I still really like it after a few listens I will usually download the itunes version. I would have never found musicians like Ben Harper, Back Door Slam and Michael Rae without it. Recently the Led Zep song Hey Hey What Can I Do played on the station I listen to but I did not recognize it. Turned out to be the Black Crowes and unknown to me they have a double disc live album with 14 LZ songs and Jimmy Page on guitar. When something that really hits my groove comes on that I have not heard before I stop everything. The girl in the cube next to me has termed it a music seizure. lol.

I guess that was the long answer for "Yes, I find new music routinely that makes me stop and say wow."

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
1 2 3 4 5, 1 2 3 4 5, 1 2 3 4 5, Take Five the Bamboo version. Very good.
I have found most of the new music to me on this site. People mentioning groups I have never heard of that are fantastic. Not sure where on my radio dial to find decent music.

Icetech

Gold Member
1 2 3 4 5, 1 2 3 4 5, 1 2 3 4 5, Take Five the Bamboo version. Very good.
I have found most of the new music to me on this site. People mentioning groups I have never heard of that are fantastic. Not sure where on my radio dial to find decent music.

Grunter.. radio is a vast wasteland anymore.. i rarely ever turn it on.. head to youtube put in your favorite music and check out other bands on the bar to the right, i have found so much amazing stuff like that.. Like this band... never heard of them and if you like old real rock... yeah :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCJSdRLmJOI

belairien

Silver Member
A few years ago, my mom was listening to the radio channels that direct tv has. It was some lame pop-rock channel. From that I discovered Evans Blue and Evacuate Chicago (which is just psychistick but serious) and loved them instantly.

Another time I was trying to look up a Russian metal band, ended up on some random blog and started browsing that and discovered the band Banewreaker. Which is fairly local to me. They are still my favorite band currently.

2underpar

Silver Member
I love finding new music. There is just so much great stuff out there it's impossible to hear most of it.

I'm lucky to live within earshot of a great public radio station (WYEP 91.3) who's main objective is discovering new music locally, nationally and internationally. It's the only station I listen too other than XM Real Jazz when I'm driving out of range of WYEP.