Accents (paradiddle)

davor

Ok so I'm finally getting round to trying to move the accent away from the 'pa' in a paradiddle....and it's a nightmare! I mean, literally cannot do it. I've been placing the same accent so long it seems impossible to break from it. Anyone else had this issue?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's been a while for me, but yeah it wasn't easy to start with.

Take it slow, get the motions down and focus on whatever pattern is hard.

1st note: Down-Up.-tap-tap
2nd note. tap-Down-tap-Up
3rd note: Up-tap-Down-tap
4th note. tap-tap-Up-Down

May be useful to work on whatever pattern with single and 4 on each hand before you try the paradiddles.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Great advice from Push-Pull-Stroke about taking it slow. Also, Arne is correct about using the motions. His advice about experimenting with simple, hand to hand accented rhythms is great as well.

My book, The Level System, addresses these motions in detail. However, I want everyone here to benefit, even if they don't have my book. So here is an exercise that I just wrote. It is an adaptation of one of the exercises in my book.

Here is a list of the motions. The full stroke is not used in these paradiddle variations.
  • Full Stroke “F” - used for loud notes in succession
  • Tap “t” - used for soft notes in succession
  • Upstroke “u”– used to transition from soft to loud notes
  • Downstroke – “D” used to transition from loud to soft notes

Last edited:

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Great advice from Push-Pull-Stroke about taking it slow. Also, Arne is correct about using the motions. His advice about experimenting with simple, hand to hand accented rhythms is great as well.

My book, The Level System, addresses these motions in detail. However, I want everyone here to benefit, even if they don't have my book. So here is an exercise that I just wrote. It is an adaptation of one of the exercises in my book.

Here is a list of the motions. The full stroke is not used in these paradiddle variations.
  • Full Stroke “F” - used for loud notes in succession
  • Tap “t” - used for soft notes in succession
  • Upstroke “u”– used to transition from soft to loud notes
  • Downstroke – “D” used to transition from loud to soft notes
Hope you got permission from the author to re-post that bro.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Hope you got permission from the author to re-post that bro.
It's not re-posted. I wrote it specifically in response to the OP's question.

I think you’re joking... If you're not, it’s ok. I gave myself permission to post it. I promise I won’t take legal action against myself - haha.

Edit - It is not taken verbatim from my book. It is an adaptation of an exercise in my book. So it is neither breaking copyright rules nor any agreements with my publisher.

Jeff

Last edited:

Noisy

Something you may want to try first is to confuse your current pattern. Essentially, on the two stroke diddle part, make them 2x or 5x as strong/loud as your initial para accent. Go nuts on them. Don’t worry about controlling the “para” portion at the beginning. All you are doing is changing your pattern in an easy first step. That should be fairly easy. Once you are comfortable with it, make the diddle portion into double time of the others. As you start to make the diddle the most important thing in your mind, start to relax a little and make everything but the louder/fast diddle more quiet. Keep concentrating on the faster louder diddle. You may find that the para portion becomes less important and less accented and helps you try the other methods suggested. Sometimes, confusing the current pattern before learning a new one can be helpful.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I think you’re joking... If you're not, it’s ok. I gave myself permission to post it.
Indeed, I believe he was.

I remember working that exact exercise early on, finally getting it, and thinking I was hot stuff.
The subsequent lesson was for me to play it over various foot ostinati, at which point I was back in newb'ville.

sumdrumguy

Take it slow, get the motions down and focus on whatever pattern is hard.

1st note: Down-Up.-tap-tap
2nd note. tap-Down-tap-Up
3rd note: Up-tap-Down-tap
4th note. tap-tap-Up-Down
My approach as well. Go slow, and focus on the motions.

I use two approaches to work on accents with paradiddles.

1) Play the same sticking and shift the accent. -> Rlrr Lrll... rLrr lRll... rlRr lrLl... rlrR lrlL...

2) Change the sticking, rotating through the paradiddle variations, and keep the accent on the downbeats (1, 2, 3, 4). -> Rlrr Lrll... Lrrl Rllr... Rrlr Llrl... Rlrl Lrlr...

Most of the folks I've mentored get the second approach quickly. The first comes easily after that.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Edit: In the exercise I posted above, the motions within the parentheses for letter A should be (for the last three 8th notes) t , t , u

I re-uploaded the exercise with the corrections.

Jeff

Last edited: