Absolutely gutted :(

Frosticles

Silver Member
Bought this Pearl 14x6.5 MK1 Steel Free Floater & it has been booted around by the courier & arrived like the pics below. Mortified.
The seller has been an absolute star though & will be chasing a claim as it was fully insured.
Am on the look out for a cradle but am in the UK so it may be a long, hard, hunt. In the meantime, I have been watching YouTube videos & I 'think' I have taught myself to use these Lumiweld Rods.

DB10AB3E-7C2D-4E75-A773-8CBAA054EFD0_1_201_a by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
3785DD99-9397-4E34-92A7-7EAC5D44195A_1_201_a by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
D3B65EE0-88DF-4636-86BA-AC0D305529CF_1_201_a by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
4F80D332-04FB-4123-AED2-C68F71ECF0FF_1_201_a by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
5924D57A-B406-40D6-87E4-ECA7191FAB99 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'd love to see the invention of a little return address camera thingy just to document how purposeful some damage is.

Sorry for the loss Kevin

drumnut87

fuuuuuuuuu!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Sorry bro. Talk about being sucker punched.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Don't be surprised if UPS denies the claim.
Their packing rules are pretty stringent.
Aluminum is a b!tch to weld.
Good luck.
I've got a spare cradle ,but I'm in the US.

Last edited:

Frosticles

Silver Member
Not true. Aluminum is easy with the right tools.

Assuming it is aluminum and not zinc, any machine shop with a TIG welder would be able to weld that up.
It's aluminium cast. Been watching loads of YouTube videos last night on using rods to weld it. Looks okish to do in theory but, in practice is another thing :D (for me anyway) :)

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I own an aerospace manufacturing company and deal with aluminum and other light metals.
Welding aluminum is much harder than welding steel due to the oxide layer that forms almost instantly upon contact with oxygen

Make sure you use the absolute best welder you can find. One with tons of experience on aluminum. Much of the final result will rely on the the skill of the welder.

Best of luck

Frosticles

Silver Member
I own an aerospace manufacturing company and deal with aluminum and other light metals.
Welding aluminum is much harder than welding steel due to the oxide layer that forms almost instantly upon contact with oxygen

Make sure you use the absolute best welder you can find. One with tons of experience on aluminum. Much of the final result will rely on the the skill of the welder.

Best of luck
Thank you :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
Not good. Can be repaired, but needs to be done right. Preventing distortion is a consideration too.

How was this packaged?
The packaging was dreadful. :(

Thin Shell

Best of luck
Like I said, not a diy repair. In the hands of a competent welder, piece of cake.

Frosticles

Silver Member
If packaging was bad ..... then UPS probably will deny claim. Get seller to refund. Here's one on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254965871737? and they'l ship international.
The lad has been trying to claim under the insurance he took out. They are fobbing him off & saying they don't insure musical instruments (happy to take his money though even though is said 'snare drum' in the description)
Told him to keep at them but I fear he has now given up.