Absolutely FANTASTIC Jam / Audition

mikei

Gold Member
Hey guys,

Went and played last night at a studio for the first time with 3 guys. A bassist and 2 guitarists.

One guitarist is just amazing! The other is a solid rhythm player and really kind of coordinated the project.

Bassist is very solid.

It is the first time any of us have played with each other.

Anyway, the project is really 2 different bands. The first is a "party band" that will play only classic rock jems. Only the very commercially successful songs that would go great at a party. For this project, we played Walk This Way, Highway to Hell and song like that.

The second portion is a metal band. We did Seek and Destroy, Symphony of Destruction and actually wrote 2 originals. The originals are almost Metallica (OLD METALLICA), Slayer with a bit of Maiden mixed in.

The jam was GREAT!!!! We all had chemistry and really it was off to the races!

The rhythm guitarist has this vision of the party band having this really funny front man and making the show a bit comical. Great idea in theory. We will see how it goes.

Although he arranged the meeting between all of us, he attempted to take this leadership role. However, the other guys and I kind of held him in check and he backed off a bit. He seems to have tunnel vision about these "projects'. Right now I am voicing my opinion, and they all seem to value everyone's opinion.

So my only concern (and this is me searching for something negative) is with the organizer of the band. If songs don't fit "the mold", he doesn't want to do them. I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill, so I am just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

I used the studio kit, which was a POS. I brought my cymbals, throne and bass drum pedal.

For the metal project, I am going to need to get a double pedal. I wonder what that will sound like through my new 26 x 18 bass drum? Probably get that old Tommy Lee - Red Hot sound.

I played very simple for 2 reasons. One, the kit was foreign to me and I just couldn't get is set up right considering it was on a funky rack. Second, I just wanted to keep solid time.

They actually liked my playing. I was surprised as I am not that great. Just keeping a steady, rockin beat. The GREAT guitar player had no ego at all. Very down to earth. I have never seen a guitarist this good with absolutlely no ego. It was very refreshing.

The band that broke up on Wed, is now back on. The guitarist apologized and now all is well. We aren't playing this sat, but it will be more for fun as it should be.

I am actually more excited about the opportunity in the new project. We have booked the studio for the next 4 weeks or so. I am very happy.

Sorry to ramble, but there is nothing quite like a good jam.

Mike

burnthehero

Pioneer Member
Congrats! There's nothing more satisfying than having good chemistry with the guys you jam with. It's crucial.

I wouldn't worry too much about the guy with all the ideas. At this point, they're only ideas and everything has to be agreed on by everybody in order for it to work. He's just excited to have something put together so his imagination is running wild at the moment.

So the band that recently broke up is the same band that did the Guitar Center gig, right? What happened with that?

mikei

Gold Member
Congrats! There's nothing more satisfying than having good chemistry with the guys you jam with. It's crucial.

I wouldn't worry too much about the guy with all the ideas. At this point, they're only ideas and everything has to be agreed on by everybody in order for it to work. He's just excited to have something put together so his imagination is running wild at the moment.

So the band that recently broke up is the same band that did the Guitar Center gig, right? What happened with that?

Yes. We actually got back together yesterday. The guitarist who kind of caused the problems is having personnal issues that caused his outburst. He asked for our forgiveness and we did. We aren't playing this Sat at GC but, we will jam on most Wednesdays and probably gig 4 or 5 times a year.

Thanks for the response!

Mike