Absolute nouveau lugs

A-customs

Silver Member
Can any Yamaha guys inlighten me on these lugs.Are there any disadvantages to them??????? Do they come out of tune quicker,I.E Do they come lose more easely than the standard lugs????.I think the main premise behind them is quick head changes ??? Just got a used BCA SOund really great ,just hoping i didnt make a mistake with the lugs.Thanks Kevin

Its marketing BS in my opinion. Head changes take about as long. The only thing I don't like about them is that they make it hard to finger tighten the tension rods after putting on a new head. On the plus side, the rods don't fall thru the rim though. As far as losing tuning quicker, I haven't noticed anything different than the regular lugs.

I too believe that most of the hype is BS although it does prompt quicker head changes because there is no need to fully extract the tension rods like you would on a non nouveau shell. You just loosen the tension rods just far enough for the lug to slip off the shell's stud. I also agree that it is more difficult to finger tighten the tension rods. The tension rods on the Yamaha kit are a bit more difficult to turn and with my big fingers it's a bit of a challenge. I use an Evans Torque key set very low to get the tension rods just touching the rims, after that I tune my drums just like any other kit. I haven't experienced my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes going out of tune any faster than any of my other kits, but I do touch things up just about every time I sit behind any set of drums.

DSC_0036-1.jpg

Dennis

Thanks .Dennis and doug .................,I guess i started to wonder if the rods are SHORTER???{not sure if they are} that they would somehow not be as good as far as holding the head in the proper tune????????I know im thinking to much?????

They are useful if you need to change heads at gigs in my opinion - since you don't have to remove the tension rods, neither those or the washers are at risk of getting lost rolling away somewhere. I personally find the Nouveau lugs quicker to change heads than with conventional lugs but it's by no means F1-tire-changing faster... I dig how they look a lot though.

I had a brass Nouveau snare and I thought the head change time was a push. They are the only lugs to break on me, but I've yet to meet anyone else who has had that issue.

It is all marketing. Any metal high end Yamaha lug is a fine lug.

When I had my mcan's, I never had a problem with them. They discontinued the lug though, so years down the road if you break one or strip one out, hopefully it won't be an issue. The only other thing was that you had to be careful to make sure the lug was on straight to get an even torque on the lug from the tightening process. It wasn't an issue unless it was a snare or something where higher tunings cracked a lug that another drummer on here had. They replaced it though, so it was cool. You shouldn't have a problem.

Hi, I think cdrums21 was referring to my snare drum with those lugs. I did pop a couple of them and Yamaha sent me out a few replacements. That still did not address the issue. They then sent me longer tuning screws saying that the other ones were too short, still not right, finally they sent me metal washers that you put inside the lug itself to replace the plastic ones that were originally installed in the lug. So far so good. With my tom it has not been an issue at all, only on the tighter tuning did they pop. You should be fine.

Thanks for clarifying that Pete! I should have said "a good friend of mine who is a drummer here on drummerworld" :eek:) Hope all is well!

Hey Clint, how are you doing and how are the DW's holding up? I put the Remo coated Ambassador X heads on my Oak Customs and I really like them. Feel good to the touch and they sound great on the drums with your tunings.

You keeping busy gigging?

I attended a clinic last month and saw Todd Sucherman, great player and a real gentleman. It's nice to see someone like him who really cares and makes himself available.

Stay in touch,

Pete

Attachments

• todd sucherman1.jpg
    todd sucherman1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 270
  • todd sucherman2.jpg
    todd sucherman2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 265
Back