About rugs

A rug will absorb the sound, the bare floor will reflect it. As far as if it effects the drums through contact, I have no idea. A rug will also keep your gear from moving while you play.

Absorbing is a good thing or bad? Maybe changing style to style?

Think about an empty bedroom. It's super echoey. You clap your hands and you can hear the sound reflect off all surfaces. Depending where you are in the room it could be worse or better.

Now put furniture in the room. The echo lessens as you put more and more stuff in it. It's the same idea.

If you like a big boomy room, you want more reflective surfaces. If you want a dead room, fill it with stuff to interrupt the sound reflection.

Perhaps dboomer will chime in. He knows all about how sound acts and why.

Carpet and rugs on the floor will absorb some high frequencies but will not absorb mids and highs. So you run the risk of unbalancing the overall tone as opposed to a broadband absorber which will lower everything more evenly.

Unless the entire floor is carpeted, it's negligible on how it affects your sound. When I play on a room with a bare floor, I bring a 3'x4' door mat rug I found at Home Depot for $20, and it's just there to keep my bass drum and hi-hat from floating around while I play. Because of the spurs and the bass drum pedal, my bass drum doesn't even touch the floor. Depending on the room, I may want the extra reflectiveness of no rug - Buddy Rich used to carry a 4'x8' piece of plywood to put the drums on (digging in the spikes too) so his sound wouldn't soak into anything at all, and that works too. But if you're just talking a small rug just for your kit, I don't think there's enough material to really affect your sound any. Of course, you'll discover this the more you go out with the kit and play in various places with and without the rug.

Thank you Bo.
Honestly we’re in danger of disappearing up our own fundaments as we look for or recognise ever smaller theoretical effects on the sound of drums. Play in a stone or wooden room, echoey and harsh. Play in a carpeted, curtained, soft furnished room, not super echoey or harsh. Play in rooms in between and get in between results. Put a mat down on a stone floor.......yeah if you A/B test our snare drum with and without the mat you MIGHT notice a slight difference.
I gigged last week in a bare room with little in the way of furnishings and wood laminate flooring. With my mat down the kit (to me) sounded awful, fortunately this didn’t translate to the audience but the only way I could have combatted it would have been to fetch a rooms sized roll of carpet. And perhaps if I could have increased the ceiling height it would have helped too

Carpet and rugs on the floor will absorb some high frequencies but will not absorb mids and highs. So you run the risk of unbalancing the overall tone as opposed to a broadband absorber which will lower everything more evenly.
Hmm. you have a point here

I don't know if a rug would have much effect on sound or not, but I know it sure does keep my kick drum from sliding away from me!

Not to hijack a thread, a drum riser (even one that's just like 4" to 6" off the ground) will have a dramatic effect on sound in regards to volume and resonance of the whole kit from my experience.

Unless the entire floor is carpeted, it's negligible on how it affects your sound. When I play on a room with a bare floor, I bring a 3'x4' door mat rug I found at Home Depot for $20, and it's just there to keep my bass drum and hi-hat from floating around while I play. Because of the spurs and the bass drum pedal, my bass drum doesn't even touch the floor. Depending on the room, I may want the extra reflectiveness of no rug - Buddy Rich used to carry a 4'x8' piece of plywood to put the drums on (digging in the spikes too) so his sound wouldn't soak into anything at all, and that works too. But if you're just talking a small rug just for your kit, I don't think there's enough material to really affect your sound any. Of course, you'll discover this the more you go out with the kit and play in various places with and without the rug.
I do the same Bo just to keep hats and bass drum from drifting. I like the plywood idea-I'd make it smaller and pre-drill holes for legs to fit. I have an old piece of plywood I may experiment with-maybe staple a rubber gripper to bottom. Have you tried the plywood Bo?

I do the same Bo just to keep hats and bass drum from drifting. I like the plywood idea-I'd make it smaller and pre-drill holes for legs to fit. I have an old piece of plywood I may experiment with-maybe staple a rubber gripper to bottom. Have you tried the plywood Bo?
Not inside a room. But I did an outdoor thing on a football field and had two 4x8’s to set up on so I wouldn’t mess up the field. Totally helped my projection.

Not inside a room. But I did an outdoor thing on a football field and had two 4x8’s to set up on so I wouldn’t mess up the field. Totally helped my projection.

Mostly straight up so I‘m sure you heard it. Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection.

F
Forgive me bringing up an old thread - but I've found a nice little rug and it's 3'x4' like the one you mention.
You say it's just big enough to stop the hihats and bass drum from moving about - but is it really big enough to reach a leg of the stool to lock everything together?
20211207_133414.jpg

F

Forgive me bringing up an old thread - but I've found a nice little rug and it's 3'x4' like the one you mention.
You say it's just big enough to stop the hihats and bass drum from moving about - but is it really big enough to reach a leg of the stool to lock everything together?
View attachment 111267
For me it is. But remember - I said doormat - which is a black doorway rug with rubber on the bottom (like an all-weather rug to wipe your shoes on before going inside). So even if my throne leg wasn’t on it, it’s still not moving because the rubber is really grippy.

For me it is. But remember - I said doormat - which is a black doorway rug with rubber on the bottom (like an all-weather rug to wipe your shoes on before going inside). So even if my throne leg wasn’t on it, it’s still not moving because the rubber is really grippy.
Thanks. I know the ones, yes.
Sorry if I sound a bit dense - but I can't quite visualise which way you lay it.
Laid Fore and aft there'd be enough length for stool leg and bass legs - but is it wide enough to get the hihat pedal on board too?
I'm guessing you must lay it crossways.

Thanks. I know the ones, yes.
Sorry if I sound a bit dense - but I can't quite visualise which way you lay it.
Laid Fore and aft there'd be enough length for stool leg and bass legs - but is it wide enough to get the hihat pedal on board too?
I'm guessing you must lay it crossways.
Try it diagonally?

Back