Able to repair a double pedal axle?

OneManBand1

So I bought a cheep-ish double kick peddle for my kit. The pedals themselves are fantastic, but the bar that connects them- specifically the axle on one end- has about 1-2mm travel in it. This effectively makes it impossible to do any sort of sustained double foot work because the left kick will always be a fraction later then I intend it to, and it just feels awful. I can't see any way to actually take apart the axles themselves, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any methods to reduce that travel distance? I don't have a lot of money and so I really would prefer to not have to buy another bar if I can avoid it. Though if it's not fixable, I'll just have to save up.

The driveshaft is the weak point in almost every pedal. It's not worth it to rebuild. The stock shaft comes with about 1mm of play already built into it.

Save $150 and buy a Trick Driveshaft. It's worth every penny.

The only possible "fix" (I use this lightly), is to tack weld the joints together at the ends. This is only a possibility if you keep the shaft 100% straight. Any angle and it wont rotate at all.

I had the same problem when I got an old used DW5000 double. Then I noticed I had it set up wrong...the U joints were facing different ways, nothing was as tight as it should have been (i had to really torque the drum key screws in the U joints and shaft), and that took the play out of it. So before you drop money, go through it with a fine tooth comb off the set and make sure everything is set up right. I will eventually get a Trick, I suppose, just because I'm that way, but if you haven't already, might be a good idea to go over it and make sure everything's set up like it should.

I have used a used a Ball peen hammer with an anvil on a vice and and smashed the pins in the U joints a little tighter with some success.. It wasn't like new but it was better, you have to be careful if you hit it too hard and you will have to hit it fairly hard, it will be too tight and then they won't move freely.

I have used a used a Ball peen hammer with an anvil on a vice and and smashed the pins in the U joints a little tighter with some success.. It wasn't like new but it was better, you have to be careful if you hit it too hard and you will have to hit it fairly hard, it will be too tight and then they won't move freely.
Im thinking I might try this tbh. There isn't a way to tighten the U-joints at all, they're just a rod of metal welded in.

Back